Still not taken delivery of car after 6 weeks

PCVrach

Apr 3, 2010
Hi can anyone please advise me?

I bought a Jaguar S-Type 4 litre V8 about 6 weeks ago, must be because I made the first finance payment last week.

when I bought the car it had a tappet noise apparent on the test drive that the salesman said they would rectify, turned out (apparently) to be a hydraulic lifter, which they ordered. Said it was a dealer only part that the dealer did not stock, first delay. I did write on the car invoice subject to faults being rectified.

As they had the timing chain off asked them if they would replace the plastic tensioners at the same time, parts at my expense as not really their problem, to save future problems with the engine. This is a common problem with this age and model of car, leading to the engine breaking. Hydraulic lifter arrived, now waiting for tensioners, second delay.

2 weeks ago agreed with them I needed use of a car as we both work and specified a date which they agreed. Wife was called away abroad so told them was not needed.This week one tensioner has arrived but still waiting for one. Not arrived when phoned today.

This means that due to the bank holiday it will not arrive before Tuesday at the earliest and therfore car not ready before end of next week.

I do not distrust the garage, I bought a Fiat on the Friday and picked it up the following Tuesday only because I was too busy on the Monday. However I have too much stress already and have not even got the car yet!!!

When I spoke to them today, the salesman said they had sold all the cars that have tax on them, including my old trade in. They do turn cars over quickly! However it is a good excuse to avoid lending me a car as cannot drive one without tax! He said he was on his way to pick up some more cars and had the hope of getting one with some tax on it! After visiting the showroom and speaking to the boss they provided me with a Vectra to keep me on the road.

I have been calm and polite throught this as appreciate it is not necessarily the sellers fault but am now getting anxious, I checked with a Jaguar forum and they say the car does not have Hydraulic valves and the tensioner kit is readily available within a few days, even sent me a link to a supplier on Ebay.

Can anyone offer any advice? Should I, indeed can I tell them to provide me with another car instead? I still want the Jaguar but am getting a bit concerned if this is how long parts take to arrive if I will spend much time actually driving it? I feel that they are not being honest with me regarding the parts also. I have asked to go to the garage that is repairing the car but was told was not possible.

I have a finance agreement on the car and also paid a deposit installment of £450 of £900 due on my wifes credit card

I intend going to the car sales place today no matter what they say, but not sure what to do for the best?

Sorry about the rather lengthy post, tried to include all relevent info while keeping waffle to a minimum.

Thanks, David.

Last edited: