Faulty Laptop

MonkJammas

Apr 12, 2010
It's a fairly long post, just scroll down if you don't care about the background and want to know the question.

I purchased a Laptop in September 2008. Within about 3months, the laptop started to routinely crash on startup with a platter of blue screen messages.

At the time, I needed the laptop and had no replacement and so did not contact the retailer/manufacturer (Same company). However, I did contact them after owning the Laptop for about 10months and so it was still within the first year or my warranty.

They "repaired" the laptop, but had it in thier possession for over 2months while they apparently waited for parts. After this initial repair, the laptop was still faulty.

Since then, they have had it another 3 times to repair it but it is still having the same errors that it has always had.

I have asked for a replacement/refund on numerous occasions but to no avail.

The latest development was that they contacted thier insurance company to see if they would cover the refund, which unsurprisingly they would not. The directors also said they would not cover it.

I asked to speak to the directors, or a higher authority, directly and was told that was unable to.

I have also told them that the law requires them to provide me with a non-faulty good, but they keep repeating the same line that I am no longer in first year of warranty and so they will just keep repairing it.

Basically, my question is this;

Am I legally able to claim a refund/replacment if they have failed to adequatly repair the machine? Or can they just keep offering to repair it, no matter how many times they are unsuccessful, until my warranty runs out?

Any help would be greatly appriciated.
Thanks.