Ford Direct car not as described. Where do I stand?

Richard Powell

Apr 13, 2010
Bought a Ford Direct (used) car which didn't meet the advertised spec (missing option), which I have in writing. Dealership manager wasn't available at the time (past closing). Once I spotted the issue, I told the salesman that I wasn't happy. He offered a couple of cans of diesel in recompense, but no more. Told him that I was happy to accept the car without the option, but not to pay for something I wasn't getting, and so that I would be in touch with the manager in the morning to discuss. He said that there was nothing else he could offer. So, I drove away and sent an email the following morning. Now they claim that by driving away I have implicitly accepted the vehicle without the option - despite the fact that I made it clear before leaving that I wasn't happy with the purchase.

I am asking for a refund commensurate with the value of the option, or to return the vehicle. They are refusing to do either.

I realize that I would have been best to just refuse to take the car, demand my account be refunded in full. But had travelled 150 miles to pick it up, had waited 3 weeks to do so, still wanted the vehicle, wanted to be reasonable, and expected them to be the same. Silly me.

Where do I stand?

Thanks!
Richard

Ian Telford

May 23, 2010
Hi Richard
How did you get on? what did you do?

I am in a similar position. See new post. I bought a six month old car but when I go to get a repair done under warranty the manufacturer says it is five years old !!!

I think I will have to take them to court.

Ian Telford

Louise2009

Apr 3, 2013
My cars engine has malfunctioned prematurely; this is the Service's Manager's description of the events at the dealership
It is a Ford Focus Diesel and only 61,000 miles, 2009 plate 3.5 years old. I have spoken to the dealership and also Ford Uk.
Ford are not prepared to take any action and refuse to provide me with a complaints procedure to follow. I have spoken to one of the Manager’s Manager whom refused this. She informed me that Ford do not have a formal complaints procedure??? They are also unwilling to investigate why my car has had these problems prematurely.
My cars engine had numerous problems 2 years ago that were repaired and under warranty. I was informed at the time that work had been undertaken on the engines injectors.

This was after lots of issues of my having to keep returning the vehicle after being told it was repaired. I was told at the time that it was known that there was an injector fault on this model.
This occurred within 9 months of purchasing the vehicle.

Two years later the engine is now a write off. Consequently there is now no value at all in my vehicle. Technically a vehicle that Santander own.

I have asked the dealership what the issue is and why has this engine failed at such an unreasonable time period. They agreed that it has died prematurely, and best help I can get is occasionally they do. But why???? That is not acceptable when I am paying in total £17,500 to purchase this car. I don't expect to pay that money for a car to have a lifetime of only 3.5 years.

The feedback that I receive from both the dealership and also the mechanics that have looked at it to date - 3 of which independently, but have previously worked for Ford is that the injectors have failed. This time when they failed it looks to have sent one of the cam rods flying out of the side of the engine, which in effect means that this cannot be repaired.

The whole engine needs to be replaced. A new engine for this model is £4,300. This is without labour or accessories.

If it is indeed the injectors these are a further £1,000 so the total to repair my vehicle could be as much as £7,600 which is potentially more than the vehicle is worth and more than the finance outstanding.

I demanded when it was last in that they replace them all under the warranty. They kept repairing it and I had to keep returning it when it stopped with no warning and regardless of speed. Once it did this on the roundabout as I left the motorway. I and all on the motorway around me were very fortunate that day!! I told the dealer with all the issues I had experienced that they were not scrimping on the repairs any longer when my life and that of others were at risk.

So my next question is if it was the injectors that failed - why did these fail when they cost a £1,000 to replace?? I don't see that as being reasonable or durable or fit for purpose.

I have had advice and guidance from numerous mechanics that have said that this car should not have failed me at this point or in the near future and this unfortunately was not something that I could have prevented.

Previous issues that I had probably weakened the engine, because it was not running correctly for a number of weeks and with a little added time it's given up.

I have asked Ford to investigate the exact cause of the problem to identify what failed and why. I have been told that they could but this could cost me a further £700 and they will not support with the cost of this. Regardless, any mechanic will inform you or any lawyers as they have told me, this engine should not have failed prematurely.
The sale of goods act 1979 state that that

'goods must be fit for purpose and of a satisfactory quality '

Meaning it should be durable. A £17,000 car should not have a lifetime of 3.5 years

Section 75 of the consumer credit act states that as you have financed this vehicle and technically are the owner you also have legal obligations and therefore hold liability as well as the dealership.

The following are some of the effects that occurred due to my vehicle not being properly repaired properly previously. I am under no illusions that they could potentially have ruined my engine. These would not have happened had the Ford dealership been ‘competent’ at their jobs.
This may not be relevant but it should make you question the standard of their workmanship and look at why my car failed?????

I was the victim of sexual harassment on one of the occasions when my vehicle was transported to the dealership to be repaired again.

The dealership denied any responsibility for the above sexual harassment at the time stating this was at the fault of the recovery company. This complaint was severe in that the Managing Director of one of the top 3 recovery companies dealt with it!!

The dealership were responsible
1) They provided the recovery package as part of my vehicle purchase
2) They told me previously my vehicle was repaired and safe.
3) The dealership informed me I would receive a guaranteed courtesy car as part of my purchase package on arrival at the garage - the only reason I accompanied the recovery of my vehicle from my home address. On arrival there wasn’t. Then I was stranded 40 miles from home with no way of getting home after the sexual harassment and no support from the dealership again. My partner was out in Afghanistan at the time.
4) I never did receive a courtesy car so the dealership had to arrange for my vehicle to be returned. They knew I was home and waiting. The services manager phoned me several times including to let me know they were on their way. The car was left outside someone else’s house 1/4 mile away and my cars posted through their letter box - Happy Christmas stranger!!