BBC Watchdog: The horn that doesn't warn?

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
In order to see this content you need to have both Javascript enabled and Flash installed. Visit BBC Webwise for full instructions. If you're reading via RSS, you'll need to visit the blog to access this content.

Watchdog has discovered a fault with the UK's third best selling car, the Vauxhall Astra. We've heard from some Astra owners who say that their horns don't work when the headlights are turned on.

Kathryn Morton bought her 2005 plate Astra two years ago. She discovered the fault when she was approaching a busy intersection on a motorway, at night. She told us:

"I could see another car was heading into my lane, so automatically my response was to hit the horn to let them know I was there. Nothing happened; there was no sound at all."

Kathryn looked online and found that other Astra drivers had experienced the fault and many of them at night, when their headlights were turned on.

Safety issue

Automotive engineering expert Mark Brown says this is a potentially dangerous fault that would cause an MOT failure, and told Watchdog:

"The horn is an audible warning device that every vehicle should be fitted with. Its function is to warn other road users of the driver's presence, for example, a pedestrian who might be just about to step off the curb.

"If the horn doesn't work, the car would fail its MOT test which technically means it's not roadworthy."

Calls to Vauxhall dealers

To find out whether Vauxhall know about this problem, we called 10 Vauxhall service centres to book a fictitious Astra in for repair work. All of them were aware of the fault with the horn.

But Vauxhall aren't telling customers about the problem and many drivers might not know their car has this fault. Mark Brown told us:

"The MOT tester won't necessarily test the horn with the headlights on, so the first time the driver will know there's a problem is when they come to use the horn, in an emergency situation, when of course, it's too late".

This fault also affects Zafiras. If you find your car has this fault, Watchdog wants to hear from you...

Vauxhall statement:

"In June 2007, Vauxhall became aware via reports from its retail network of a very small number of incidents. An investigation was launched and the root cause was found to be an intermittent connection within the pin connectors of a wiring harness linking the steering wheel audio controls and the main vehicle harness. A Technical Service Bulletin was provided to the Vauxhall retail network in December 2007 advising that in the event of a customer describing this particular failure mode, the wiring harness should be replaced using a new wiring harness. This new part was incorporated into vehicle production during 2007.

"Only vehicles with audio steering wheel controls are potentially impacted, these are not standard on all models. The number of reported cases is extremely low; the population of potentially affected vehicles includes Astra (built from 2004 to 2007) and Zafira (built from 2005 to 2007).

"As Watchdog is already aware, Vauxhall takes quality issues very seriously, as soon as cases were reported, investigation was undertaken and a solution found. No proactive customer action was undertaken due to the very low number of cases.

"Any failure attributed to a manufacturer defect and reported within the vehicles warranty period will be covered under our existing warranty program. A failure of the horn that is found to be a result of this particular wiring harness will be paid for by either the Vauxhall warranty program or under its goodwill policy program even if the warranty or mileage periods have expired.

"Most customers have had the work done to resolve these issues under warranty. However, customers that have had their vehicle repaired and have been charged for either of the two issues described, and are able to provide a suitable invoice, will be fully reimbursed through our goodwill policy programme by contacting our customer assistance centre.

"Customer Assistance Contact details:

"Tel: 0845 090 2044 (Watchdog Note: you may be charged for these calls)
Email: vauxhall.customerassistance@vauxhall.co.uk

"We will be manning the Customer Assistance Centre telephone lines following the programme, so any affected customers are advised to call to discuss their case with a Vauxhall adviser."

The horn that doesn't warn?

lsvorad

Mar 19, 2013
almost 3 years later, after Watchdog's made people and Vauxhall aware of this issue, I brought my 5 years old Astra to local Vauxhall dealer to sort this out (horn not working, steering wheel audio controls not working), faulty CIM diagnosed, I made them aware this is well known recall issue, but it doesn't stop them to charge me £162.50 + VAT to get it right.

SelwynBloggit

May 24, 2013
My 2008 plate Zafira failed its MOT this week because the horn didn't work - well not in the desired way - pressing the horn turned the volume up on the radio!

Phoned customer service on Monday 20 May 2013 to be told the work period for this fault had ended in Dec 2012 and that work had been carried out on my car before i owned it in 2010. Clips were put on the wiring harness to stop the wires pulling loose.

I argued that putting clips on wires amounted to a 'bodge' job to fix something that is essential for my families safety and that of other road users. After several minutes of avoiding a direct answer the guy on the phone finally admitted that many of the first repairs were failing and that the work period had been extended. I was given a reference number and told to book my car in with my local dealership for a complete replacement of the CIM module. The guy on the phone did say that I'd need to be 'insistent' with the dealership to get the work done.

After the Customer service agent said I'd need to be insistent I was expecting a battle with my dealership; yet the Arnold Clark dealership said they'd order in the part and booked me in for an appointment 2 days later. Happy days? Well.....no this is Vauxhall - of course not!!

Arnold Clark waited until the day of the appointment to tell me they hadn't ordered the part, that they couldn't carry out the work until they had authorisation from Vx and that because I had my car serviced elsewhere in the last 2 years I'd be expected to pay.

After much arguing about worse than useless customer service and getting them to admit that even if I had the car serviced with them the CIM module would not have been an item on the service schedule, I was made to feel like they were doing me a favour by making some calls to contacts at vauxhall dealer support to get approval for the work to be carried out. I was sent home to wait a couple of hours for the outcome.

When the call came I was told Vx would meet only 70% of the cost because I had not been a loyal customer. I told them no way and again I was made to feel like I was getting special treatment when the guy said he'd make some more calls and see what he could do.

10 mins later I got another call to say they'd now meet 100% of the cost and that by some miracle they had found the required part (that I'd previously been told they hadn't ordered) in their stock room. The work was carried out later that after noon!

Sorry this has been a bit long winded - the full tale is here to show that you have to battle with Vauxhall to get the basic levels of customer service and care that you'd get anywhere else.

Three important points

The work period for CIM modules has been extended. Don't be fobbed off by anyone telling you that it ended in Dec 2012

The Vauxhall customer service number has changed. You need to call 0844 369 0112

Don't take no for an answer. Your car has a fault that they know about and should have made a full recall to rectify - but didn't

michaelone2009

Sep 25, 2013
Hi

I've got an Astra 04 and had a Cim recall 1.5 years ago. Thay put a clip. It was fine then, but now the horn's stopped working when lights are on and the trip computer controls on the wheel is not working to. I left my car for an inspection at my local Vauxhall dealer Evanshalshaw but they said it can not be done for free because car is to old. After inspection they said the control unit must be replace and it'll cost over £300 !!!! If I don't want to repair this I need to pay for an inspection £75 but few days earlier one their colleague said the inspection cost £45 ???
I rang to the Vauxhall customer service and they said my car need to be checked manually and it takes up to 24hrs. So I'm waiting, but I'm angry with treatment from my local dealer, they didn't even admit that Cim module problem is a common fault !
Could you advise me what else can I do, please. I'm thinking of contacting a lawyer but depends what they say.

michaelone2009

Sep 25, 2013
Finally Vauxhall agreed to replace the unit control for free !!!! Yeeeesss.
Thanks for your tips it really helped. My local dealer didn't want to fix but I phoned myself to Vauxhall customer service twice and it helped :)

hyperspace

Apr 25, 2016
hi i own a vauxhall zafira 2006 i have phoned vauxhall about this problem as its also happening to my car there answer to me is that there is no knowen recall for this problem on my car they want me to take it in but there will be a charge for the tecnition to look at it

please can you help

many thanks

yours l j passmore

michaelone2009

Sep 25, 2013
Hi
Just phone to the Vauxhall customer service helpline that's what I did when my local dealer refused to fix it for free as it was an famous issue. It worked for me they fixed it free :)

Good luck

hyperspace

Apr 25, 2016
hi and thanks for your reply ive done as you said and they are saying it was a recall for astras when i told them that i read on this sight it was also for zafiras 2005 to 2010 the lady said i will just do a quick check and she came back and said sorry there is no call back on that car for that prolem

maclee64

May 31, 2016
Hi my Vauxhall Zafria 2008 plate has failed its MOT because of the horn not working. I have been quoted £430 by the garage to fix the cim module with a new unit. I have spoken to customer services they have advised the garage to put a claim in to Vauxhall to see if they will cover some of the costs. Can anyone give a me a valid complaint number or reference I can refer Vauxhall to prove they have been covering the costs of these repairs? any help or advice would be appreciated.

maclee64

May 31, 2016
Hi my Vauxhall Zafria 2008 plate has failed its MOT because of the horn not working. I have been quoted £430 by the garage to fix the cim module with a new unit. I have spoken to customer services they have advised the garage to put a claim in to Vauxhall to see if they will cover some of the costs. Can anyone give a me a valid complaint number or reference I can refer Vauxhall to prove they have been covering the costs of these repairs? any help or advice would be appreciated

Henrietta

Dec 23, 2016
hi and thanks for your reply ive done as you said and they are saying it was a recall for astras when i told them that i read on this sight it was also for zafiras 2005 to 2010 the lady said i will just do a quick check and she came back and said sorry there is no call back on that car for that prolem
Have been told that there was recall then told there wasent. Phoned customer service they said my car was too old but yet again they told me to take it to vauxhall for a diagnostics to see what it was even though I knew it was the Cim Module (as had it done in garage,) had it taken to vauxhall and paid £45 00, phoned customer service and was told it had done too much milage, even though they knew this before they still told me to take it to vauxhall . If for definate they knew all this and put my hopes up, why make me pay £45 for nothing! They have a Goodwill policy programme which they decide if they will pay out . As it is a well known fault and putting people lives at risk there should be a recall! If anyone has this fault write in . any advice would be appreciated

mobossuk

Mar 17, 2017
Hi guys I am facing the above problem with my Astra H I sent an email to Vauxhall and they point blank said that they can't do anything any advise please.

mobossuk

Mar 17, 2017
Has anyone had any luck with Vauxhall regarding this CIM fault your info would be appreciated, this is the below reply I got from Vauxhall.

Dear Mr Patel,

I write with reference to your recent email dated the 17th March 2017.

Thank you for your email and I am sorry to learn of the issues that you have been experiencing with your vehicle. I would advise you to book your vehicle into a Vauxhall dealership for a diagnostics to be done so we can determine any underlying issues that may be present on the vehicle.

Unfortunately, if your vehicle is affected by this known concern then the dealership will be unable to review it with our Warranty Team to determine whether the repair charges could be covered under our goodwill policy. The dealership would only have been able to have this reviewed if your vehicle was under 10 years of age from registration date and if the vehicle did not exceed 100’000miles. If the vehicle exceeds either of these then the goodwill policy would be voided for the vehicle. I must advise you that contribution is never guaranteed and due to the age of your vehicle, we will be unable to have this covered.

I can only apologise that this is not the outcome you would have hoped for.

lewii07

May 3, 2017
Has anyone had any luck with Vauxhall regarding this CIM fault your info would be appreciated, this is the below reply I got from Vauxhall.

Dear Mr Patel,

I write with reference to your recent email dated the 17th March 2017.

Thank you for your email and I am sorry to learn of the issues that you have been experiencing with your vehicle. I would advise you to book your vehicle into a Vauxhall dealership for a diagnostics to be done so we can determine any underlying issues that may be present on the vehicle.

Unfortunately, if your vehicle is affected by this known concern then the dealership will be unable to review it with our Warranty Team to determine whether the repair charges could be covered under our goodwill policy. The dealership would only have been able to have this reviewed if your vehicle was under 10 years of age from registration date and if the vehicle did not exceed 100’000miles. If the vehicle exceeds either of these then the goodwill policy would be voided for the vehicle. I must advise you that contribution is never guaranteed and due to the age of your vehicle, we will be unable to have this covered.

I can only apologise that this is not the outcome you would have hoped for.
I'm having the same issue. Got the same reply off Vauxhall. Have you had any progress?

I had my CIM replaced with a new unit by an independent garage. 4 months later the problem came back. I'm guessing this could be pointing at the wiring look at fault

mobossuk

Mar 17, 2017
Vauxhall just fobbed me off with the letter, I wont be buying any Vauxhall vehicle it cost them nothing to place two clips either side of the CIM.