comet faulty vax floormate help

christine

Apr 24, 2010
Hi
I spent £120 (minus 1p) on Vax Floormate on Friday 23 April. Assembled product. Product did not work as it should. (Should work like a carpet cleaner, excepts its for hard floors, lino etc....ie water did not go from clean water tank to floor after second attempt of use.)
Next day, (earlier today), took item back to store, asked for refund or replacement after explaining the fault. Shop assistant said Comet could not give refund or replacement, and that I had to contact Vax. I told them my contract was with them, not Vax, and that it was their duty to deal with Vax, not mine. Shop assistant adament. Manager called. Manager said same. Rang Comet's call centre from my mobile (they would not let me use their phone!!!), wasted credit because call centre told me same thing after they left me holding on for ages whilst they called the store and didn't even take me off hold to speak to me again.
I said i wanted to leave product at the store for them to get it repaired, or whatever they needed to do with it. I took photos of the boxed item for my own record where I had placed it at their counter. Manager pushed me, and slammed my slider phone shut. He insisted I take it home and sort out the problem with Vax. I was unwilling to leave store to take home faulty product, as it was obviously of no use to me as it did not do what it was supposed to do. Comet forced me to take the product home (against my will) as they called the police. The police said it was a civil matter, and that I had to leave the store and take product with me.
I now have one faulty Vax Floormate sitting in my hallway in its box, and my finances are £120 lighter.
I have filled out a form on their website, but would like advise as to my rights, as I was sure they had to refund, replace, or repair, and not fob me off as they did........
Please advise.
Help appreciated

TheVaxTeam

Apr 27, 2010
Hello Christine, I was sorry to read of your experience with Comet when you tried to return your Vax machine. Please can you provide me with a contact telephone number so that I can call you and arrange for your old machine to be collected and to have a new machine sent to you? I will pass on your experience to an Account Manager to ensure that no other customer has to go through that experience. On behalf of everyone here at Vax may I offer my sincerest apologies. I look forward to hearing from you soon so that I can get a new machine on its way.

Comet Response

Dec 8, 2009
Hi Christine

My name's Phil and I'm from Comet.

I was sorry to note the problems that you experienced when returning your Vax Floormate cleaner.

With Vax appliances, our normal procedure is for our customers to report the fault direct with Vax as they deal with any faults on our behalf as we do not repair their appliances. Vax would diagnose the fault over the phone and arrange an exchange or repair as appropriate. I am sorry for the further frustration you were caused when speaking to the Customer Information Centre only to be advised of the same procedure, we would expect our stores to take ownership of issues like this and have asked for this to be internally investigated to understand what happened.

Having checked our incoming e-mails, I have noted that you have been in touch with us and the store have arranged for the appliance to be authorised for exchange or refund. In order that we can resolve this matter for you I would kindly request that you return to the store at your convenience to make the necessary arrangements.

Regards
Phil