New mobile faulty - how long to replace?

31satara

Apr 30, 2010
Hi. I'm new here and after some advice.
Recently I bought a HTC Desire for my son from mobilephonesdirect. It arrived and seemed ok. Over the next few days we noticed it would never reach full charge (max 69%) - it didn't matter how long or if the phone was on or off. The orange charge light stayed on but no more charge. I rang HTC UK support who told me the phone was faulty and needed to be replaced. I tried contacting mobilephonesdirect. It took me a lot of calls but eventually I got through to 'returns' who issued and e-mailed me a returns form. I returned the phone, special delivery tracking showed they received it on 21st April. (I got the phone on 14th April). So far so good. As it took so long to contact them I started looking at a few reviews - clearly I should have done this before buying - I could only find bad things about their customer service. After four working days I thought I would ring to check progress, but was permanently on hold. Everyday since I have tried but again I am forever on hold. I have also e-mailed but never recieved a reply. I appreciate that they have only had the mobile back for eight working days (which I think is long enough) but I am concerned about the complete lack of ability to comminicate.
Firstly, how long should a replacement take? And secondly, if I recieve or hear nothing, when and what further action should I take?
Thanks for reading.

jimmbo60

Aug 5, 2010
Hi I have a similar problem I have a contract With virgin it's about half way thupdates to solve problemrough. The hand set has be come faulty but before they would replace it I had to buy a usb cable (£18.00) to check for firmware. |Of course it didn't.They now have agreed to replace it within 24 hours but that was on Wed 28 July an I still do not have it. I have called them 4 times and been told it will here tomorrow. They even delivered it to the wrong place. What do I do I want to end the contract but they say I have to buy the contract out. Is this correct.
Any help would be great

31satara

Apr 30, 2010
I did get my replacement but it took quite a few weeks. I eventually got hold of someone at the company that does the warranty for mobilephonesdirect who was helpful and confirmed they had given the go ahead for MPD to replace the handset. More phone calls and I eventually got hold of someone at MPD who confirmed this, finally a couple of weeks later it arrived (I suspect they kept running out of stock, and giving stock priority to new customers - but they never admitted this....)
I doubt you will be able to get out of the contract without a penalty - lets just hope the new phone arrives soon and is ok