reconditioned ps3 from ebay

debparish

May 15, 2010
Hi
We won an ebay auction for a reconditioned ps3 on 21 feb 2010 - the seller - consoles*uk stated on the listing such things as "in perfect working order" "works as good as day one" and "wouldnt release unless entirely happy with it". The seller did however state "this console is reconditioned therefore I offer no guarantees", there is no mention of any policy regarding refunds!

It arrived 4 days later and i briefly checked it out, the next day i gave it to my son as a present, he switched it on and immediately got the YLOD. We contacted the seller (who emails under the name xbox360sales) he agreed to "sort it out one way or another or I`ll issue a refund" as he repairs ps3,s for a living. So we sent it away at our own cost and received it back on 10th march. The console lasted till 30th march when YLOD reappears so we contact the seller again who blames the failure on a faulty batch of thermal paste he used to repair the ps3 and stated "it shouldnt happen again" and agrees to repair it again. Again we sent it at our own cost. The ps3 was returned 13 april and worked fine until YLOD x3 happens on 11 may. Again we contact the seller but state that we would prefer the refund he offered after the 1st failure as it was costing us £23 each time to return (special delivery).

The reply from xbox360sales states that there are "no refunds as stated in listing" and as he offered no guarantees the best he could do was repair it again so that we could sell it on ourselves (which i would presume would pass liability to us) and he offered nothing for postage as it only cost him 11.99 through parcelforce24 (charges 14.00 on listing!).

Are we entitled to a refund now as we have had the console repaired twice and he admits that one repair was suspect due to the faulty batch of thermal paste. Surely the same fault occuring 3 times in the first 3 months of use is not "in perfect working order" or "as good as day one".

XLTrading

Oct 9, 2009
We are sorry to hear of the problems with your PS3 - and we can offer advice on what to do next.

Thermal Paste fixes will only work for so long on PS3 and 360 consoles, and they must be properly fixed by a professional working on the board itself inside the console.
Which is why the thermal paste trick will work for so long and then will go again when the console overheats once more.

Thermal paste DOES NOT have bad batches.. the trick is widely employed by a number of rogue sites which claim to provide a professional service and ultimately lead to nothing.
The same goes for 'guarantees on work' as well. It's a load of tosh!

Did you pay via PayPal? If so .. try and claim your cash back, but as we know PayPal very well, all they will do is pass the buck and say 'it is for the seller to fix it for you' once again.

We would be more than happy to buy this from you if you wish to sell it?