Hit in rear by another vehicle - driver claims not his fault

vince480

May 17, 2010
Hi there,

A few months back travelling on a motorway I had to slow down fairly sharply as traffic ahead was breaking for a broken down vehicle.

The vehicle behind me didn't stop in time and hit the rear of me.

My rear bumper and enforcer bar needed completely replacing and a fair amount of work had to be carried out to the front of the car which hit me.

Now what has annoyed me and muddied the water with the insurance company is the driver who hit me claimed someone hit him and shunted him into me.

This annoymous 3rd driver was no where to be seen at the time of the accident, thus apparently just drove off!!

My insurance company are now saying they are going to settle knock for knock as they can not trace the 3rd vehicle that was alledgely involved.

Is this right? can this happen?

For what it's worth I did see some scuff marks to the rear of the 2nd vehicle, however I have managed to get hold of a copy of the engineers report for the repairs done to the 2nd vehicle which hit me. Whats odd is, it only has one item listed to the rear of the vechicle which needed repairing, a dent to the rear right body panel. There were 15 items which needed replacing to the front of the vehicle, from headlights, to radiator, to front wishbones!!

Could there be so little damage to the vehicle in the rear if he was apparently shunted into me?

Any help and advice on this one would be really really helpful.

Cheers

Vince

DaveSmith

May 17, 2010
Vince, the same thing happened to me. If you want to be pragmatic find out if you have a protected no claims bonus. If you do, and dont want any aggro just let it go. It wont cost you down the line. If however you dont, you need to insist the insurer fights it. With no, no claims bonus you will end up paying for the accident in full plus some ove rthe next 5 years.

Dave