Bad Builders - now want paying?!

Mellops

May 18, 2010
We had some work done in our home and the the work took ages! alot longer than originally anticipated and the workmanship was shoddy, and left in an awful state!

Since then (a few months) we heared nothing from our builder despite contacting him in the Winter months with problems..

We obviously never paid him, and to be honest never recieved an invoice from him (which I though you would do when you finished a job) so with no contact, we got someone else in to rectify the problems.

Now out of the blue, we have been given an invoice months later?!

What are our legal rights here? We let this person into our home, and basically he took 10 times longer than expected, made many bodge jobs, and left it unfinished.

I have since heard of others who haven't paid him!

What are my legal rights here as a customer?

Thank you for any help.

Streetwalker

May 16, 2010
London
Tell him he diddnt complete the job and to sling his hook over his saddle.
With no contract there is nothing more to say except you had a lucky escape

CannyInvestor

Jun 23, 2010
You ask for your rights in law.

Although you have had no contact until now, presumably there was a verbal contract originally (otherwise you wouldn't have given the builder access to your property).

It is that verbal contract which the so-called rogue builder is trying to enforce.
He could theoretically take the case to the small claims court against you.
You would argue that the builder was in breach of contract, and hadn't fulfilled the terms of the contract, and left you out of pocket.

If you believe that the builder has performed at least some useful work for you by reducing the cost of the work that the second builder you employed performed, you might pay the first 'rogue' builder an amount for the useful work. This will protect you in a small claims court, if you think there is a risk of it being taken that far. This might also be the moral option to follow, given work was carried out for you and you haven't paid.

If you believe the so-called rogue builder has left you with extra expense overall compared with having done nothing, you can wait for any small claims court action against you, and then bring a counter claim in that action for damages. But be prepared to bring evidence and witnesses, as that is what counts in the Small Claims Court.

jamesfranklin

Jun 24, 2010
I really feel for you as I went through something similar a couple of years ago. The only legal option I could find was to take the case to the small claims court, but that ended up being expensive and stressful so I probably wouldn’t do that again. Check out the HMSC website, which is quite useful.

We have just got some quotes for our drive to be redone, but because we’ve been stung before we’ve tried to find ways to avoid it happening again. We are going to organise payment through a website called Transpact, which from what we can tell means that we pay for the job into a holding account and if it is done well, the builder will get the money, but if it isn’t we can use the company to referee the case and if they agree it’s not done properly, the builder won’t get the money.

Good luck with your builder!

Ardent1000

Aug 31, 2014
Worst Cowboy I have ever come across is Mark Fitttes.

You can see pictures of his work on the North East Section of the badwork.co.uk/ website.

WeatherAll (NE) is owned by Mark Fittes who uses dodgy subcontractors and charged us VAT despite not being VAT Registered.

Terrible Builder and a nasty piece of work.

You will find him currently operating in the Ponteland and North East Area.

Avoid Mark Fittes and his companies (WeatherAll (NE)) like the plague.

Fittes likes to drive around in his girlfriends black Range Rover but don't let that fool you, he doesn't own the house he lives in, rents his tools and machinery and has previous unpaid CCJ's.

The company trade address is -

WeatherAll
8 Fellside
Ponteland
Northumberland
NE20 9JW

The company operates in the Ponteland/Newcastle/Northumberland and Durham areas.

The owner and Director Mark Fittes is a real piece of work and his companies workmanship is terrible.

WeatherAll (NE) are among the worst builders I have come across. The owner ended up trying to intimidate my dad who is in his 70's after making the worst jobs I have ever seen in my life. His company even walked off the job once they had taken a sufficient amount of my parents money on 28th July 2014, leaving an awful unfinished dangerous mess.

We later found out from Trading Standards that he wasn't even VAT registered yet he charged us 20% VAT.

The only time you see the Mark Fittes is when he is trying to extract money out of people.

In terms of my parents job Mark Fittes WeatherAll just used cheap subcontractors, cheap materials and cheap hired equipment, whilst I have never actually witnessed him getting his own hands dirty. My poor parents are now having to pay a reputable builder to repair the original poor work, so are having to pay twice. The reputable builder even stated that it was the worst work he had seen in all his years in the trade, as did a second builder we also had take a look and give us an estimate. Indeed he was so horrified he even offered to write a report with regard to the poor workmanship, poor materials and numerous faults.

Trading Standards told both his salesman (verbally) and him (via letter) to give my parents their money back including £1,376 VAT, whilst the police who came out to visit my parents agreed that what he had done constituted Fraud and I should imagine the VAT people will be wanting their money back from numerous other previous jobs which by all accounts run in to many hundreds of thousands of pounds.

Furthermore most of his transactions are on a cash basis, which makes me wonder if he hasn't paid VAT since his present company was set up on the 11th June 2013, does this man even keep reliable books in relation to income tax, VAT and National Insurance.

Every time you mention this man and his companies to the authorities, the first thing they say is that he's well known to us. Indeed the Director of the company has previous unpaid CCJ's if you care to check on-line.

Luckily my dad is one of five brothers and my mum also comes from a large family so the word has been spread far and wide. My Dad has also spread the word at the local Golf Club and across the area I live in. My sister was also horrified by the mes left by WeatherAll as was her husband as well as other family members.

Take my advice and steer well clear of WeatherAll (NE) and Mark Fittes who is total cowboy, who drives around in his girlfriends black range rover but has very little in the way of assets himself according to Trading Standards.

You will know him if you see him, as he's a smarmy and slimy type of individual, he also sometimes employs a fat salesman called Neil Farrer.

Previous companies owned by this individual include WeatherAll Home Improvements at Unit 1, Front Street, Klondike, Cramlington, North East Home Improvements at Unit 10, Imex Business Centre Birtley, North East Building Solutions which has an address at Durham Road in Low Fell, Sunderland based BSG, and his latest company WeatherAll (NE) which is Ponteland based.

Mark Fittes companies have a nasty habit of going belly up after a year or two and he constantly tries to get more money up front out of customers. Whilst Neil Farrer and Mark Fittes both have a history and were both Directors at BSG Contractors Limited (Sunderland) and North East Building Solutions (Low Fell) with Farrer having further building companies in relation to Angel Home Developments Limited (Sunderland) which a month after being dissolved became Angel Home Improvements Limited (Sunderland) before also being dissolved.

WeatherAll are currently Ponteland based and operate in Northumberland and the North East of England.

You have been warned.

Any complaints about Mark Fittes, Neil Farrer and WeatherAll or their subcontractors should be made straight to Northumberland Trading Standards, Northumbria Police/Durham Constabulary, HMRC and other such authorities.

KimE

Nov 4, 2014
Hi

My name is Kim, I work on a daytime show at ITV, ‘Judge Rinder’. I’ve just come across you case on here and thought the programme may be of interest to you.

ITV are looking for people who would like to settle their disputes or claims in the second series of court show Judge Rinder.

If you are interested then please send me an e-mail at kimberley.enson@itv.com with a brief description, or you can call me on 0161 952 0961

We look forward to hearing your case!

Many thanks, Kim