Papers dying out! Really?

Matt26

Facilitator
Aug 27, 2008
Guildford
Newspapers have had a penchant for heavy cost cutting for the last 10 -15 years.

Print jobs under threat after Mail owner issues profits warning | Media | The Guardian

In the wake of the Daily Mail's latest round of culls we're sure to be subjected to dusted off editorials about how newspapers are becoming obsolete. How blogs and websites are taking thier place.

Am I the only one who doesn't buy it?

Blogs are usually either wrong or agenda driven, and exist in a consequence free environment where quite franky they can say what they like. I think falling circulations are a blip, people will eventually return to the broadsheets for quality reliable news - even if they do get there second.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Newspapers will always be around, they are just so convenient - what will chip shops do without them... :) There actually seem to be more than ever esp. the ones using the free model - there are two in Manchester the Metro and the Manchester Evening News Lite (Men) which seems excessive to me.

katealpha

Sep 1, 2008
Beds
I tend to scan the papers online, however, rather than buy printed copies which in the old days I used to 3-4 times a week, so maybe it is people like me who are impacting circulations. Now I only buy the actual paper if I've a train journey or there is a free CD I want... :D

Jorumian

Facilitator
Sep 1, 2008
Birkenhead
It's hard to know what to think on this. I think the younger generation are switching off the printed press, and getting their news elsewhere, internet, TV etc. Despite that I think there will always be a percentage, decreasing perhaps, of people who like to get their "morning paper" to read at work, home or wherever. I think there is still room for both, though in the future, I am sure the need for daily newspapers will decrease.

Whether this is a good or bad thing I don't really know.

As Matt says a lot of blogs may be wrong, or have an agenda. However that is perfectly true of many newspapers too and has been for as long as they have existed. Bias in reporting is not the sole domain of the internet.

I think in the end what will prevail will be how you like to digest your news. If you like immediate, up to date news, the internet and News Channels on the TV will be your thing... If you prefer a leisurely read of the previous days news over breakfast, you will still buy the paper.

As for Chip shops... All they need to do is buy one copy of the Times on Sunday, and all the supplements that come with it will keep them in fresh paper for the next month...

Matt26

Facilitator
Aug 27, 2008
Guildford
Yes, newspapers obviously have an agenda. The point is that they have checks and balances in place, professional ethics etc.

They also have a room full of journalists checking each other's facts constantly and when someone outright makes something up, it is, thankfully, still a big deal. Not so with the imortal kid in wis parents attic...

What I'm talking about goes beyond bias. On a blog or a forum I can literally make stuff up with impunity.

For example, did you know that kate Moss is a robot?!

The very worst consequence I face is a cease and desist letter... Scary.

Jorumian

Facilitator
Sep 1, 2008
Birkenhead
lol... Kate Moss is a robot?!? Does that mean Pete Doherty is a muppet?

I guess you learn something new every day!

I always view blogs as being entertainment. As you say you can't rely on anything written in most of them. If I want news items I tend to visit the news websites (BBC, Sky etc). The beauty of blogs is you can write what you like on them, and that is also the inherent danger of them too.