Can a shop demand your details? Another Q

FredaW

May 24, 2010
Hi, there seems some good advice on this forum, so can someone point me in the right direction on this one please?

Like the user on one of the other posts, I HATE giving out my personal details and object to them being demanded for what I think is no good reason, but where do I really stand?

Example: I recently needed to buy a new mobile phone handset (no sim and no contract). I went to Phones4U and picked a handset. They insisted that I had to register my details. They said that if I needed to contact them with a problem then head office needed those details; I said that I would forgo ringing them and come into the store with my receipt &/or bank statement; they said that that wouldn't help. I still refused and said I would take my business elsewhere. The (rather stroppy) manager was called and put my details through with 'refused to give' as my name etc.

I got my handset without giving my details. So-
(i) can they insist on having my personal details?
(ii) given that they filled in incorrect details after insisting that they could not help me if I didn't give mine, am I covered by my normal rights if there is a problem?
(iii) what official guidelines can I refer them to if I want to put in an official complaint about this?

In case it matters, the details they wanted were:
Marital status
Surname
Forename
Full address and post code
Telephone number
Email address

DOB wasn't mandatory, but the rest seemed to be from what I saw. Am I the only person who thinks the fact that I am a single woman is irrelevant to buying hardware?

Thanks and regards
FW