Getting the painters in

GlasgowGirl

Facilitator
Jul 22, 2008
I'm trying to hire a painter/decorator to redecorate my living room, in the hope that this might help it sell. I could do it myself, but we've done pretty much all the work on the house ourselves and are frankly scunnered with it all, so I thought for a change I would pay someone else to do it. I've had three guys round to quote so far, and the variation is astonishing - the quotes were £220, £350 and £490! I'm hoping to get another couple of quotes as I wasn't sure I liked the look of two of the guys so far.

Paul Carcone

Facilitator
Jun 22, 2008
South Coast
www.carconeconsulting.com
Decorators

My parents have just had a similar range of quotes for some work to the house...The trouble is that you never know who to trust as sometimes, the skankiest looking of people do the very best job!

Can you ask to speak to any of their recent clients and see what they thought of them? This might reduce your risk a little...

Whatever you decide, good luck!!

GlasgowGirl

Facilitator
Jul 22, 2008
I've since had another couple of quotes - it's amazing how many different opinions there are on a simple thing like painting a room. I've been told, variously, that I don't need to do anything to the ceiling, that a coat of paint will do it, that the best way forward is to artex it, and that I really ought to paint every room in the house! This is why I usually do these things myself...

GlasgowGirl

Facilitator
Jul 22, 2008
Just as an update, I eventually went with Fresh Coat, a local one-man business, who did an excellent job. Of course now all the rest of the house looks dowdy...