Car Repairs

Caroline1978

Jun 4, 2010
I bought a second hand Ford Focus on a 56 reg on 11 December 2009 from a Ford Dealer. I received the three month standard warranty on the car which ran out in March. Recently I noticed a puddle under the car and the car making a horrendous noise whilst driving. I called the AA who said that the power assisted steering fluid was leaking and I needed to take it to a garage to be fixed. Currently everytime I am taking it out I have to keep a bottle of fluid in the car to keep the power steering fluid topped up. I telephoned Ford's Customer Relations yesterday (3 June 2010) and explained the problem. I was asked whether I had taken out the extended warranty which I didn't as I clearly didn't think the car would have problems already as it is only 3 1/2 years old. I was told that I need to take it to the dealers whom I bought it from or to the nearest one for them to have a look at. I have to take it to them on Wednesday (9 June). I was just wondering whether if they take it in there and then whether I would have to pay anything towards the repair as as under the Sale of Goods Act it is still within six months of purchase or should I have taken out the extended warranty to protect me against this? I have been quoted a price of £700 to get the problem fixed at a Ford dealers by an independent mechanic.

Any help or advice would be gratefully received.

Caroline