Need a brand new replacement for ps3 instead of repair

Nickster

Jun 18, 2010
After reading some of the posts that have been written, I also decided to claim for the replacement of my faulty ps3 by mentioning the sales of goods act. My ps3 was bought from PC World around 2 years ago, so it's seriously out of warranty, however with the help of the letter structure, which was constructed by Tony, I managed to type out a perfect letter for my case:

Dear Sir or Madam

On 13th December 2007 I purchased a Playstation 3 60GB from you for £379 which is not of satisfactory quality.

The problem is that the blu-ray drive inside the Playstation 3 is not detecting any type of disks whenever they are inserted in.

The Sales of Goods Act 1979 states that when a consumer buys a product from a seller, it must be of a satisfactory quality; however this is not the case with the Playstation 3 I have purchased. The legislation also states that the seller is legally obliged to solve this requirement, not the manufacturer. Furthermore it states that the consumer has six years from the year of purchase to claim for the faulty product.

As my Playstation 3 is not of satisfactory quality and goods of this nature should last longer than this; please arrange for it to be replaced within 14 days from receipt of this letter.

A copy of proof of purchase is attached with this letter.

Yours Faithfully

Nikesh Gohil

This is the response I got back:

Thank you for your letter dated 28th February 2010. I apologise for the delay in my response.

I am concerned to learn that your ps3 is not working, as it should. As the item is not in warranty you would need to contact Playstation Careline on 0844 7360595. They will offer to replace the unit for 131 pounds. Once you recieve the invoice please send us a copy of the invoice and we will consider reimbursement of the costs.

Please accept my apologies for any further inconvenience or delay you may be caused during the conclusion of this matter.

The letter I wrote was sent to pc world customer service.

They have tried to help me out by saying that they wil pay for the cost of repair, but it's not exactly what I want. I have been told that when consoles are given to Sony, they come back as refurbished models and as I have the 60GB version, that's exactly what I'll get. I've also seen on internet blogs; people reporting that their refurbs die easily, therefore I would very much like a whole new console eventhough it doesn't have the same features as the 60GB model.

Would there be any possibility of me persuading PC World to give me a brand new replacement, because I really don't want to go through this ordeal again?

Nickster

Jun 18, 2010
Should I try and write back to them, showing my case, or try and get an engineers report of my own accord and show them that the Ps3 is unrepairable?

Nickster

Jun 18, 2010
Also if anyone has got an engineers report, what store can you get it from because I'm finding it difficult to find a IT repair shop which is well known.