re-manufactured component returned faulty and now unrepairable

craig

Jun 19, 2010
I recently sent a key component off from my car to be repaired by a re-manufacturing company. I asked many questions of them prior to sending to them due to the criticality of the component as i wanted to be confident they could repair.

I sent it away, they received, contacted me and advised that they had found the fault and it would be £xxx for the repair + Vat and shipping. After quizzing them on the warranty/guarantee they offered I advised to go ahead with the repair. I also opted for the additional insurance to cover the package for up to a £1000 if damage or not delivered on return.

The next day it was sent back to me via a reputable logistics firm, on receipt and to my dismay it was found now to have external damage (it had an electrical fault to start with). I contacted the company and they advised that I return to them for them to inspect. So this was done asap.
It’s taken 3 days for them to contact me, they have advised the component can now not be repaired due to the location of the damage, and have no replacement parts or units.

What i would like to understand is what i can expect to receive from the company. I sent them a perfectly usable unit that was able to be fitted to a car, all be it that it had an intermittent internal electrical fault.
They returned to me a component that is now not suitable for purpose? I payed for additional cover just in case this might happen, but I’m concerned that i may end up with nothing other than my money back for the repair work they carried out and a component that is no use to anybody.
What should i expect to get back from the company...

Thanks