My opinion vs Shopkeeper on faulty item

Paul Gravett

Jun 21, 2010
I recently attempted to return an item to a shop on the grounds that it was faulty. A small item worth only £10.99.
The shopkeeper flatly refused, maintaining the item was not in fact faulty. The item was something which, due to reasons of sanitation could not be restocked.
The shop keeper was clearly trying everything in her power to avoid issuing the refund (including very rude inferences about my body shape) even though I suggested to her that she simply needed to send the item back to her suppliers. A simple process I've employed many times during my work managing retail stores.

It's been a while since I've fully known the ins and outs, so would like to clarify, is she within the law to simply tell me the product was not faulty and ask me to leave.

I realise this is a matter of negligible monetary worth, but I'm curious about the principle.

My thanks for your help.

craigc71

Jun 24, 2010
The shopkeeper cant just tell you its not faulty and ask you to leave, she has 'the burden of proof' as they say in legal jargon, basically she has to show you its not faulty its not just her word against yours, if only it were that easy to get out of things like this, lol!