2nd hand car - had 9 months - Needs New Engine - What are my rights?

glennkelly

Jun 25, 2010
Hi
I purchased a 2005 Renault Scenic from a Non Renault Dealer in September 2009.
It is a diesil and now has 71000 on the clock.
It came with a 3 month warranty, which of course has expired.
On Friday 11 June 2010, the Scenic's engine is now needing to be replaced following a disturbing knocking noise.
A garage I drove into diagnosed this as a worn crankshaft and worn Big end bearings, causing the piston to hit the head of the engine. The car has only done 71000 miles and is 5 years old. I am disgusted that Renault can produce an engine that only lasts 5 years and only does 71000 miles. The vehicle has a full service history and was last serviced 2 months ago by the dealer I purchased the car from.

Do I have any recourse under the Sale of Goods act with the dealership I purchased from?
Can I force them to pay towards the cost of the new engine?
What are my options?
Thanks
Glenn

Kamboss

May 27, 2010
Hi, I would think that you are on your own, as the 3 month warranty is over and it could be argued that this problem has been caused by hammering the hell out of the engine causing it to wear out, and unfortunately you would have to prove that you have never abused the motor, which is very hard to do.
I'm not sure but I think that if you could get a reputable garage to strip down the engine and give their findings in a detailed report along with their best guess on how/what they believe caused the breakdown of the components, you may stand a chance if they say, poor manufacture and not wear and tear.
Thats the only advise i have to give and its what i would do , if I were in your shoes, especially if I'd paid a few grand for the motor.
Kam

nmonline

Oct 24, 2010
Hi, unfortunately, you can't force them to do anything. If they are a reputable dealer, and you ask them nicely if there is anything they can do, they may treat you fairly. Might be worth checking the Renault forums - they can be prone to certain problems, and the forums are often trying to get the manufacturer to help through consumer action.