Not told of non-refund policy at hotel, had to cancel due to illness

vikkiville

Jul 3, 2010
I made a reservation at the Bannatyne hotel Durham on Thursday evening over the phone. I paid in full over the phone for 2 rooms, £55 per room. On Friday my son fell ill so I called to cancel one of the rooms, the other was still required. I was told I couldn't get any money back because of the non refund policy. I hadn't been told of this policy when I made the booking and don't know if I would've had I been told. I think I am entitled to a refund because the information wasn't made available to me. The man who took my booking even forgot to ask for my Visa card number and had to call me back. What can I do?

UnholyAngel

Jul 23, 2010
I think under DSR they should provide you with cancellation policy in a durable form either as soon as the contract has been made, or as soon as possible otherwise. Websites are not considered durable.

You have 7 days from being given this information (7 working days at that) in which to inform them of your intent to cancel. I'm sure it says somewhere that it can be extended up to a maximum of 3 months.

Of course you could always try your card issuer to see if they can help. You can issue charge backs on debit cards aswell as credit cards :)