Bought bike, went 3 miles on it and it`s broken??

Smurfy

Jul 14, 2010
Hi all,
My names Ian and on Tuesday I bought an Italjet Formula 125 scooter for £750, the guy had it advertised on ebay and I went to view it and bought it. I was round his house quite a while and the bike ticked over well, but like an idiot I didn`t go for a run on it. I paid £200 deposit and picked it up on Tuesday (yesterday), I only had to ride it 5 miles to home, and I actually have another one of them so I do have experience of riding them. About 1/2 mile into the ride it started losing power, by 3 miles I was doing 25mph max and had to pull over at which point it died. Point blank refused to start and I had to push it 2 miles home, I cleaned the carb and checked for a spark but it refuses to run.

I`ve contacted the seller and he wants a mechanic friend to look at it, which is ok by me, everything is amicable at the minute, and the guy should be round on Friday. I actually preferred it to be looked at by a local scooter shop, but the seller was unwilling for this to happen, based on cost, which I understand.

My question is:
If the guy comes round and is unable to fix the fault, where do I stand?. I`d happily negotiate a refund of some of the cash, i`d accept him paying the bill for it to be fixed at a local shop or failing that i`d like my cash back. The bike was described as a good runner, and it had never broken down.

Cheers for the help, great site btw.

Ian