car insurance increase

emily anderson

Jul 19, 2010
please can anyone help. im due to renew my car insurance in the next few weeks. i have been recieving quotes to be honest im disgusted at how much it has increased. when i first purchasesd my car two years ago i paid £500, last year it incrased to £650, this year the renewal price is £930. i have not claimed on my insurance, have no driving offences etc. i have been driving for ten years and have full no-claims discount. so why is it increasing so much. i need an explanation

Gasboy78

Jul 20, 2010
My advice would be to contact 5 of the leading car insurers and ask for quotations from them all. Do not think you have to renew with your existing provider. Make sure you give the same information to them all so you can make a good comparison. They will vary in price considerably so make sure you are happy with all terms and conditions before you buy. Good Luck.

UnholyAngel

Jul 23, 2010
I would check the price comparison websites.

I was with Direct Line - and had been for the past 6 years. This year i was expecting my premium to go down to around £300 as i am now over 25 (and this is what direct line told me). Instead it was increased to just shy of £600. I should stipulate that 3 years of my no claims was as a named driver - so i was not able to carry these over to another company - i could only carry over those years i was the policy holder. Yet i managed to find several quotes at what i was expecting to pay with direct line AND as an added bonus, they actually had a lower excess and better coverage!

Direct Line refused to discount my policy even though we have 5 cars insured with them. It has taught us a valuable lesson and when we receive renewal notices through, we will be checking to see who offers the best deal and not just assuming like we had previously.

Direct Line's defence was that all insurers had increased their prices by 20%. I pointed out that it was closer to 70% raise and if you counted the price i had been told i would pay (being over 25), it was actually a 200% raise. How they can justify this i dont know.

Remember, Direct Line advertise you wont find them on any price comparison websites................no flipping wonder! They'd never get any customers.

Jostar

Sep 20, 2010
www.postgoldforcash.com
Definitely shop around. Also, I find it helps if you find a car forum for the car that you drive. You can then ask which insurance companies other people use for the same car.
Never take the first offer from your renewal company as they seem to take advantage of people who can't be bothered to shop around at the time of renewal.