Tesco/Laptop Warranty Problem

monagans

Jul 25, 2010
I bought a HP dv51130 from tesco for £580 last year. The warranty runs out on the 25.7.10
The laptop has developed a problem with the screen (intermittent screen flicker) which seems an inherent fault on this model.

I called tesco before the warranty expired and logged the fault. The current proposal is for HP to repair the laptop. I personally had to fax through to HP the proof of sale before they would deal with it. However i'm still waiting for HP to get back to me

I have called Tesco technicians/engineers dept and been fobbed off as they say it’s my responsibility to liaise with HP. To add further insult to injury i was
advised that if the screen/fault was fixed, only another 3 months warranty would be added to the faulty part. The engineers stated 3 months was standard practice/policy. The idea of an extra three months warranty is ludicrous and the minimum should be 12 months. I know the sales of goods act could be applied for future problems but would be more time consuming.

Other staff from Tesco after sales team after discussing this problem agreed that i have been treated shabbily . They suggested i ask for refund or replacement via a returns number. I asked for this from the engineers but they declined stating they policy was to offer repair. It took me three calls to get through to this team after one call was misdirected and one engineer rudely put the phone down on me.

What are my rights to ask for refund or exchange on this ? I have no confidence in this model of laptop or Tesco customer services to resolve
any future problems.
Would I need to make formal complaint to Tesco outlining the problems and my request for exchange or refund?
Many thanks

Alaric McDermott

Jun 15, 2011
Just don't buy a computer from Tesco is my advice. After-sales is abysmal. Bought a laptop at substantial cost ten weeks ago - developed a fundamental problem with the left mouse button almost immediately - ten weeks only, and the best they'll offer (aggressively, without looking at the thing) is a 2-3 week repair.