EasyScam

spursla1

Jul 28, 2010
SCAM!!! It takes a lot for me to start writing letters of complaint about services etc.. but easycar have stunned me with their scam.

I hired a car with them online. The booking was accepted, and I was due to pick the car up the next morning from their supplier Sixt, in Bow, London. Just before I was about to leave to pick up the car, I got a call from Sixt to say they had no cars available. I was gob smacked. They even blamed me for booking so late! I was assured that no money had been taken from my debit card, but a couple of days later, I saw that easycar had deducted £98 from my card.

I spoke with easycar (after ages trying to get through) to be told that they could not refund me until they got confirmation that Sixt couldn't supply a car. Fair enough I thought, until they told me this could take a month!!! (while it sits in their bank accounts earning them interest) I asked why they could not just phone them and check (I even offered them the phone number) but all they would say is that "it doesn't work like that". I've since been in contact with easycar a few times since with no luck, and a unwillingness to help me.

Something else that shocked me when I was actually booking the car, was that I booked with a debit card, but AFTER you confirm (point of no return, money gone) they then inform you that when you pick up the car, you must have a CREDIT card in the drivers name, debit not accepted, to take the car. If you don't have one you have to cancel the car, and lose the whole fee!

Yes, these things are in their T&C's, but surely this is a scam to trick people into parting with money, and then making it difficult and a lot of the times impossible, in the case of the debit/credit rule, to get a refund.

I started reading a few websites about easycar, and found out I wasn't the only one that had been scammed. This is common practice with them it seems.

It doesn't take a month, sorry 21 WORKING days to confirm that I didn't get a car. This is a SCAM! Easycar are laughing at all of us.

Yesterday the 21 WORKING days were up. I called them to be told that they hadn't had a reply from suppliers sixt. They told me to call back "in a week or so".

Because it's over 30 days, I have started a debit card dispute with my bank.

btw...what happens when/if my bank finds in my favour, and refunds the money? Do Easycar just shrug and walk away scot free?

Adam Byrne