Online shopping is definitely the future

temi

Premium Member
Apr 28, 2008
London
www.temi.co.uk
I went to Currys yesterday, I wanted to take advantage of and offer they had on an Olypus SLR digital camera advertised in the guardian.
First I had to wait about 30 minutes for a store assistant to man the camera section, just as I was ready to go ahead with the purchase, the assistant had to go and take delivery of some goods, I waited some 15-20 minutes more, he did not arrive and I left the store.

I will not be returning to Currys in a hurry, I will definitely be buying online from the comfort of my home.

pokerface

Oct 1, 2008
I had a similar experience in Currys when shopping for an xbox 360, i waited for about 30 mins for him to find out if they had any in stock, only for him to then tell me the offer was only available online

Jorumian

Facilitator
Sep 1, 2008
Birkenhead
Currys in a Hurry? Is that a new Indian Fast Food place?

In all seriousness I often find in shops like those, and it seems to be either electrical or shoe shops, that if you are just browsing for stuff and don't want to buy anything, you can't get rid of assistants asking you if you would like any help... When you go in with a clear purchase in mind, they disappear.

I think sometimes it pays to be direct. Go in, and find an assistant rather than go to a desk area and wait, and tell them what you want. Even if they can't help you, they should at least be able to put you in touch with someone who can.

TVDinner

Sep 28, 2008
I love shopping online BUT I also love actually seeing and touching products. Obviously you can not do that online. For example if I am purchasing a digital camera, I still want to hold it first - see how small it is first hand, etc.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
I love shopping online BUT I also love actually seeing and touching products. Obviously you can not do that online. For example if I am purchasing a digital camera, I still want to hold it first - see how small it is first hand, etc.

This is why there is a seven day cooling off period by law - in the UK and Europe. Some traders will give you more such as Amazon gives you a 30 day money back guarantee. Most will charge you for shipping though, but some such as Fatface don't. Fat Face - Hassle Free Returns

Tony

More info here: Mail order goods - your right to cancel | Consumer Information

GlasgowGirl

Facilitator
Jul 22, 2008
I do loads of my shopping online, and find it especially useful at Christmas - when my colleagues are trekking round the shops searching for presents, I'm sitting at my desk with an ever-increasing pile of parcels ready for me to take home and wrap. I've never got into buying clothes or shoes online though - I like being able to try things on, and can't be bothered going to the post office to return stuff.

barbarp

Facilitator
Aug 20, 2008
Dorset
The only problem I tend to find with shopping online is when I'm buying clothes {especially figuring out the difference between UK and US sizing :confused:} Having said that being a bigger girl I find it a lot lot easier to find bigger funky clothing online ;) without the horror and pain of striplit changing rooms.
I've found ebay is ace for craft bits and bobs and furniture but you really have to remember not to go mad bidding for stuff {set yourself a limit and stick to it}
You also need to look hard at the photos and description to check for damage.
Lastly don't forget the delivery charge {there are 100's of listings in china which start at silly money but then have £50+ on the delivery} Look at the location as well because I was caught out before buying something from near london without thinking how I was going to get it home to me:eek:

I do think online is the way to go with books and cds because you can get a far widder selection than available in the shops.

jennyhicks

Oct 10, 2008
I love online shopping. Every high street these days has the same shops, boring, boring. Everyone looks the same and I was finding myself buying all those same clothes too. Online shopping gives you greater choice, allows you to develop your own style and not be influenced by what is on the shop models and is more than often cheaper.

Jorumian

Facilitator
Sep 1, 2008
Birkenhead
I agree, I think shopping online is fantastic, especially as we approach this time of the year. I dreaded the annual festive drudge around the local shops. Online shopping gives me the chance to get everything I need, usually at a cheaper or comparable price, without being attacked by walking stick wielding old ladies, or having to stand in queues for hour upon hour. I reckon I have done over 90% of my Xmas shopping the past few years online and I think I will do the same again this year. And as Tony has said, the 7 day cooling period law means if you don't like what you have, you can return it for a refund.

At this time of the year I also buy the vast majority of my food shopping online too. Especially the heavy stuff such as beer, fizzy drinks etc. I do try to buy some items in person, namely the fresh veg and turkey, but in the main I find using the delivery system, if you book it early enough, is a great way to avoid the queues. I'd rather pay the £5 delivery charge, than wander through a packed supermarket. And with some voucher codes you may be lucky enough to get delivery free. I recommend booking your delivery slot as early as you can though, as the Xmas delivery dates always get taken up very quickly.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Xmas delivery dates always get taken up very quickly.
Tell me about it I have never managed to get them and end up in a supermarket with people panic buying and absolutely rammed. I is a shame that you can't book a slot without making an order as I never know what I want a week in advance...

Jorumian

Facilitator
Sep 1, 2008
Birkenhead
Tell me about it I have never managed to get them and end up in a supermarket with people panic buying and absolutely rammed. I is a shame that you can't book a slot without making an order as I never know what I want a week in advance...
Yes, that is something of a problem. I get the majority of my stuff delivered, but I tend to get it delivered a little earlier as I have a chest freezer which I can store all my xmas stuff. I also think that the longer you leave it towards Xmas, the more likely you are to end up with the turkey & bits and bobs that nobody else wanted, or find that the items you wanted were out of stock and have either been replaced or withdrawn from your list, which is a little annoying.

I think it depends entirely on when you want the delivery. The closer you get to xmas the busier it is, but if you can store your food and other items, get it delivered a week or so earlier.

And I agree 100% about the panic buying... It has got so much worse over the past few years, which is odd as the shops are now open far more than they ever were. I'd love to know how much of this stuff actually is used and needed, and how much is just wasted. I think everyone is guilty, but deserving, of a little excess at Christmas and New Year, but I'm yet to fathom why you are going to need 10 loaves of bread, 6 packs of bottled water, 4 crates of lager, just because Asda or Tesco is closed for two days in a row.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
It is indeed very strange behaviour. To avoid all the hassle I must admit we have used the Marks and Spencer's Christmas service a few times. It is great, you basically order everything you need for the Christmas dinner then pick it up on Christmas Eve - I am pretty sure you can order it online. There are lots of high streets shop offering this kind of blended service.

For example, Argos allow you to order online and collect from the store, and Next allow you to order online and take the returns to the nearest store for free.

Tony