Leather lords & els warning!

DICKYT

Aug 6, 2010
Do NOT buy anything from LEATHER LORDS (now also known as els exclusive leather sofas), 1 John Kempe Way, Camp Hill Birmingham, or their Cannock shop, ELS, in Watling Street. For years they have been scamming customers, with shoddy goods, non delivery of goods, refusing to refund, etc etc. Check out other blogs on Consumer Action Group, for full and gory details. Their main methods are: getting as high a deposit as possible, quoting exessive delivery times - over 16 weeks, advising you that your furniture is ready to obtain the balance of payment, and then telling you that it hasn't arrived after all, and quoting even longer delivery timescales. They blatantly disregard Sale of Goods Act, refuse refunds, there are no terms and conditions on reverse of your copy of receipt (illegal), and give Trading Standards the runaround. I have had to claim refund via MONEYCLAIM ONLINE - online version of small claims court, they have 2 weeks to respond before I can request judgement against them. If you want more details, please ask me! I am one of many many people who have had nightmares with this company, please do not be another victim.

noor

Sep 4, 2010
HELP!!!!!!! please tell me who i need to contact as have fallen into same trap!!! paid £1400 for 2 sofas and was supposed to recieve them yesterday after waiting since january!!!! waited @ flat sent my friend to the store to find out what was the delay with the deilery as was told mines would be the 1st delivery in the morning.. when my friend got to the store it was closed!!! all the shutters were down n no one was picking up the phone!!! i rang time after time they js dont pick up and next moment the line is busy as soon as line is free they dont pick up!!! am going mad!! please help and let me know who and where i need to contact??!!

philssue

Sep 4, 2010
oh dear im a victim too, they will not answer the phone and the shop is shut what can we do to get our money back?im silly i did mine over the phone and have no paper work ,which they said they would send!

genesis

Sep 4, 2010
Hi, I also expected delivery of my sofas on Friday with no show. Contact Trading Standards as soon as you can and ask for advice, this is very important! They are very helpful. If finance involved contact that company also as they appear not to be aware of the situation. Best of luck to all of us in reclaiming money. Finance & credit cards may give us some protected from fraud or theft or what ever term could be applied, fingers crossed.

Craig73

Sep 5, 2010
Hi, my in-laws are in the same boat as alot of you. They paid in full (luckily on credit card) for their sofa and chairs months ago and had expected delivery this coming week, but when no one had phoned to confirm my father in law went to the store for confirmation only to find the gates locked and no sign of life. Looked on net for signs of receivership but had no luck as yet as its still early days, but it does seem likely that this is how they will try to wriggle out of this mess.

floribabe

Sep 5, 2010
I posted my story another forum but i think this excerpt explains whats happened with the company!

Got there to see the shutters down. I instantly left and decided to wait till my father returned home. We then both drove up there after calling the credit card company to cancel the payment so that my father could get as much information as possible to put on the claims form. My father stayed in the car while i went into Harveys next door.

They instantly remembered me (even though i hadnt spoken to them when i had looked around their showroom). Their faces told me i wasnt the first person of the day to come in not to buy one of their sofas.
I asked, "you wouldnt happen to know what happened next door would you?"
"yup they've gone bust"
"Wow, I thought so, Ive just notified the credit card company"
"you're lucky, you're the first person who's been in here today who's said they paid with credit card" - (i feel so sorry for all of you who have lost money through paying by cash or debit or cheque.. Its awful! I would be reeling and feeling to burn down their showroom but that would be no help, ill explain why.. My sympathy goes out to you, however my father informed me buyers will be at the bottom of the list of those to pay back and you should prepare yourself that its going to be a long battle to get it back... sigh... smh)
Anyway , I then said
" I think I might just break in and take my sofa since theres no way they're bringing my money or my sofa to me, you wont say anything will you?!"
"I dont think you'll have much luck, they were emptying the place out all of last night, there is nothing left!" they then went on...
"The daily mail (i assume they mean birmingham mail) were around this morning to collect 10'000 pounds for advertising but the shutters were down and they had cleared out last night."
I said, "If only they had delivered the sofa to me yesterday like they said they would"
"They weren't making any deliveries yesterday. The delivery men were in and out but they told them no deliveries were to be made yesterday."
They then said " the staff and delivery men hadn't been paid for months, they were working on promises. The sofa company they order from also hadnt been paid and they didnt have the money/ want to refund any customers. Any company that changes their name 3 times in one year, they're no good! Didnt we warn you?"
"Ha! I wish you had!"

Reflecting on it, the guy will probably drop 'ELS' and walk away leaving all debt and customers behind and open up a new one with a new name. Beware! He could even have the nerve to open it in the same building. He isnt liable with a Ltd. comany for any expenses of the company owed to customers or problems that arrise, the company is liable but if he gets reported enough times, the police will prevent him from opening any more businesses.

philssue

Sep 4, 2010
go to watch dog ,i am.i cant believe people can do this ,and the police dont want to know.then ring 08454040506 consumer direct ,they are amazing,hope you get help ,thinking of you ,im only in my first week!

JDE

Sep 8, 2010
I know these people well. This shutting down of the business is not the first time they have done it and will not be the last. They don't pay bills; they don't treat ANYBODY with respect!!! You could try calling Mike Lord (Leather Lords) or Gary Lord (ELS) direct on the following numbers:

Mike Lord: 07970545739 or 07971578426

Gary Lord: 07971578425

Last edited:

JDE

Sep 8, 2010
Call them:

Mike Lord: 07970545739 or 07971578426

Gary Lord: 07971578425

genesis

Sep 4, 2010
Loads more posts and information on consumeractiongroup website. (els and leather lords) Info regarding liquidation, solicitors etc etc. Don't forget if you paid by credit or debit card this money can be reclaimed. The finance company needs to be contacted if used. Trading Standards need to be informed (or consumers direct) they will give good advice on how to proceed. The police don't want to know!! Best of luck

KIM COOK

Sep 9, 2010
Saw these posts to late :(....We were taken in by these con men aswell. After lots of fob offs we scouted the web to find out more about E.L.S (thats how we found you guys), we went straight to HATTERS WAY IN LUTON, only to find rubbish furniture left behind and the shop closed, i asked the guy in dreams next door, who said they left last thursday!!!

I dont know how GARY LORD or MIKE LORD sllep at night!!! these people are worse than rats in a sewer. and i hope one day they will be made to pay for there crimes!!.

In future i will use this site before i buy anything..

Thanks for posting guys

KIM COOK

Sep 9, 2010
theres a winding up hearing at manchester district registry on the 20th sept, the winding up solictors are K J D FREETH 01728 202020

teamanp

Sep 9, 2010
I too have been caught by ELS Cannock I paid £50 deposit in cash on 30th August and was told by the saleswoman that I had to pay the outstanding balance of £648 by Friday 3rd September, I went to the Nationwide BS and got a cheque for the ammount on Thursday 2nd September and like a fool went to ELS in the afternoon to give them the cheque.
What makes it worse was that on Thursday 9th September I visited the Nationwide BS to ask if the cheque had been cashed and it had not by the dubious Lords but the Nationwide BS would not cancel the cheque.
What really gets my goat is when depositing my £50 deposit and on hearing you have to wait 16 weeks for delivery I said to saleslady "you are not going to go bust are you" and she replied "no its a well run family firm";-(
Can anyone give me any advice on what my next line of call is?? or the private address of the Lords?

genesis

Sep 4, 2010
Contact Trading Standard and report ELS to them (directory enquiries will give you the number), they will give you good advice on how to proceed. Check with your bank again on cancelling the cheque although with ELS going into liquidation this may not be processed, I hope. Cash deposit may be lost but contact the solicitors involved:K J D FREETH 01728 202020 for the cannock branch of ELS for further information and tell them about stopping the cheque. Best of luck - more information on consumer action group website (one word for consumer action group dot co dot uk)

teamanp

Sep 9, 2010
Tony Thank you for the advice should I contact Cannock or Wolverhampton trading standards? I going to Citizens Advice tomorrow for some advice and back to the Nationwide as i paid good money when the firm ELS must have known they where going into liquidation and have nought for the money? Surely this is theft?

genesis

Sep 4, 2010
Trading standards will take your home postcode and then put in in touch with the right department, normally consumer direct. They will also give good advice on what to do next, Citizens Advice good idea too. I've contacted the police and reported theft, fraud etc but they weren't too interested they will wait to see what Trading Standards suggest. Phone the solicitors K J D FREETH 01728 202020 too. Best of luck

genesis

Sep 4, 2010
This has just been posted on the other consumer action website:

Birmingham Trading Standards

EXCLUSIVE LEATHER SOFAS LIMITED
A winding up petition has been lodged at the High Court in relation to Exclusive Leather Sofas Ltd. As far as we are aware the company has four outlets located at:- Birmingham (Camp Hill), Derby, Luton and Cannock; with Cannock being the head office. All of these stores have ceased to trade.
The petition will be heard at Manchester High Court on 20 September 2010. If the company is wound up an insolvency practitioner will be appointed. It is the insolvency practitioner who will sort out the financial affairs of the company and it is to this person that any complaints about Exclusive Leather Sofas should be addressed.
When we know who the insolvency practitioner is we will update this web page accordingly.
In the meantime, if you have purchased your furniture on finance and it has not been delivered you should write a letter to the finance company explaining the situation, please remember to send this by recorded delivery. The finance company should then release you from the agreement and refund any monies already paid to them.
If your complaint has not been resolved or you paid cash for your furniture you should still contact the insolvency practitioner so that you may be put on the list of potential creditors. The practitioner will then, after paying the main creditors such as the banks and utilities, use any monies which are left over to refund customers.

mrslcarrington

Sep 10, 2010
..hi every one i have also had this problem as a customer i bought over 5000 pound worth of sofas i paid cash as i got a better deal for this way of paying, i have lost all of that and i only found out after going to harveys and they were brilliant and very understanding they offered me a sofa straight away very comfy and had a further reduction of this item i hope you all sort your problems out and get some of your money back but i do recomend harveys if you need a sofa they are trying to help as many people as possible

Last edited:

teamanp

Sep 9, 2010
No luck with the Nationwide BS they will still not cancel my cheque as they say ELS as gone into liquidation or words to that effect but luckily so far ELS or liqitators have still not cashed my cheque though, they did want to have a credit card though never miss an opportunity for a sale! I will phone JD Freeth the Solicitors this afternoon. All this when you buy things in good faith!

frazerr

Sep 12, 2010
I too have been scammed by this cowboys.
It is nearly half a year I have been waiting for two sofa's which were said to be 16 week lead time.
On a weekly basis I had been phoning the Birmingham store and a lady would repeatedly and obviously lie that the sofa's were still at docks in UK waiting for cargo to be unloaded from box. She had been telling me this for three months. When pushing her harder on this she said it was originally delivered with the wrong order and so they had to reorder. She confirmed again the correct sofas were at docks and would be with me any day.
The management and staff displayed a total disregard for the customers and not one of them had any ethics.
I knew I was being lied to for at least two months but felt powerless to do anything about it. Scumbags.
These people who clearly have run with a load of their stuff (saw all the new furniture boxes stacked around the back of their Birminham store) cannot be allowed to set up again somewhere else!