New Build Property gloss paint goes yellow after 2 weeks

ljroux

Aug 9, 2010
Hi we have a new build that we bought in feb, one of our snags was that the gloss painted woodwork was yellowed not White when we moved in. The site manager admitted it was indeed yellow and should be White so the painters were brought back to assess the problem. With them they brought the Crown supply manager and we discovered this was a country wide problem that some houses' paint was turning colour and others were not. The painter confirmed our house was completed paint wise in the last week of jan, we moved in in the 2nd week of Feb so it had yellowed in 2 weeks! The builder admitted this was wrong and the gloss was repainted. 2 weeks later it started to turn again and much worse than before- it positively glows yellow! We have gone back to Persimmon and they said it would be addressed again. After hearing nothing for weeks we contacted them again only to receive a letter stating that due to new regulations in paint recipe the colour fastness of the paint could no longer be guaranteed and that they consider reapplication to be a household maintenance issue and would not be helping further. We are outraged at this especially as they have already admitted it's wrong and tried to fix the problem once already! We understand that the cause of the yellowing is a mystery to them and the painters and that we are not alone in this problem but still the product they have used is unfit for purpose! Is there anyone with any advice on how we can take them on regarding this? We just anticipate such a struggle as we have other snags that they are being difficult over... Thanks!

paulthepainter

Dec 7, 2010
This is indeed turning into a common problem. I currently have two claims which are due to be settled with both Crown Paints and Dulux both involoving yellowing- it's a complete nightmare for someone working in the trade. I expect more claims to follow, and I have my reputation to keep intact!!

Having spoken to the Crown representative today he advised not to use oil based products at the moment and use water based products for doors etc. This will not yellow, the only problem with it at the moment is that the finish isn't as good and it isn't liked in the trade.

I have every sympathy with your problems and hope it will be settled, if not already.

keithcapelin

Sep 13, 2011
I have a new house which was painted throughout with Dulux Trade White Gloss. The paint has two issues: 1. It yellowed whithin a few weeks more so where it was in a shaded location or subjected to higher temperatures (near hot water pipes). 2. It has not cured properly - where it has been used on shelves, despite having been left to dry for over a week, it still allows heavy objects, like books, placed on the shelf to stick to it slightly (enough to tear a paper jacket). I contacted Dulux and got an answer to the effect I should have used acrylic not gloss paint, all white paint yellows. I contacted the supplier to our painter (Brewers) and got a similar response. They do not want to know, they deny any culpability or issue.
I have been told by an expert in paint chemistry (who will not be named) it is to do with successive changes in gloss paint formula which are to meet goverment carbon emmissions requirements and to reduce the paints odour when drying.

keithcapelin

Sep 13, 2011
Paul,

I have posted a comment myself about yellowing "white" paint and having just spent thousands painting a new large house am not happy- see my post. What did you mean by claims, did you mean legal action or letters of complaint?

rimce44

Oct 29, 2011
London
www.lgcdecorators.co.uk
I have a new house which was painted throughout with Dulux Trade White Gloss. The paint has two issues: 1. It yellowed whithin a few weeks more so where it was in a shaded location or subjected to higher temperatures (near hot water pipes). 2. It has not cured properly - where it has been used on shelves, despite having been left to dry for over a week, it still allows heavy objects, like books, placed on the shelf to stick to it slightly (enough to tear a paper jacket). I contacted Dulux and got an answer to the effect I should have used acrylic not gloss paint, all white paint yellows. I contacted the supplier to our painter (Brewers) and got a similar response. They do not want to know, they deny any culpability or issue.
I have been told by an expert in paint chemistry (who will not be named) it is to do with successive changes in gloss paint formula which are to meet goverment carbon emmissions requirements and to reduce the paints odour when drying.
I am painter and decorator in London, painting with dullux paint quite often and so far it is all fine, just have heard that crown oil based paints get yellow quick

ALewis

Nov 23, 2010
South Wales
Hello there,
Sorry to see that you've not had a proper reply.
Firstly Merry Christmas,
Secondly, this is not my 'area' - home section,
However I can say this:

Your contract is made upon an offer, acceptance, followed by consideration .. Meaning: offer, agree, complete the transaction/service.

Once the contract is a done deal, it cannot change or be changed.
There are two possibilities here:
1) they are in breach of the contract as they are now changing terms
OR
2) there may be a clause within your contract allowing changes to be made without your consent/knowledge.

Check your paperwork or contract, if you do not have, you can request this off the supplier. Look in the small print/terms and conditions , to see if there is a clause here to allow this.
If there is, I'm sorry, but you've agreed to it,
If not, get back to me and I'll explain the next steps.

Hope this helps,
And again, I hope you're having a good day.
:)