Deposit paid, dealer now stalling on getting horn fixed.

Anncran

Aug 16, 2010
Hi!
Yesterday I test drove a vw beetle and decided to buy it. I noticed on the test drive the horn wasn't working so I pointed this out before I paid the deposit and it was written down on the firm that it needed attention prior to me paying the balance and picking up the car.
Today, the garage call and say that the car will take a few weeks to repair the horn as it'll take a while to order the part. They say I have a few options- 1. Wait a few weeks for the car. 2- take the car and bring it back in a few weeks or 3- take the car in present state and get it fixed myself on the extra insurance I agreed to purchase from them.
Just wondering where I stand with this now, ideally I'd like the horn fixing as soon as possible- if not, then am I within my rights to ask for my £200 deposit back??
Many thanks,

I am reluctant to take the car now from them as I feel that if it has no horn then that is a safety problem.

Anncran

Aug 16, 2010
Also, the mot was done just last month... Don't you test the horn on an mot? Am I just getting into dodgy ground here...?

TiggersBabe

Aug 22, 2010
Re the Horn being pat of the MOT, definately! I've had failures on that alone in the past, it is a safety issue as your horn is there to warn other road users of your presence.

Hope you get it sorted soon.

ArnoldHelper

Oct 8, 2010
Well you are in your right to reject the car as he has not adhered to the sales contract (good thing you got the horn repair in writing). then give him a review here: bit.ly/9eGP5f