Builder fault

helpme2010

Aug 22, 2010
I moved into a new home last month. The boiler is of 1950's type working well, as I used it for the whole month. Now, I have a builder to fit my kitchen. he started work on last Monday. On tuesday evening we were not able to heat water as ther was no gas connection. We called him when he answered that he switched off for half and hour and then switched it on again. So, he came in to see the gas and boiler. I asked him to call an emergency boiler/plumbing servie, which he declined. he said he will amnage himself. before this, he tried to move all knobs here and there. He didnt know what to do. He called someone over the phone and they asked him to switch on the pilot lamp switch in the old boiler. The pilot switch got switched off as default setting as in old boilers. He switched it on.Then there was heating which worked. We switched on the water heating next day morning, when we noticed it boiled toomuch. hence, we switched it off immediately.

On friday, the heater was on like all other days. When we came in the evening, we were shocked to see water flowing from the loft tank to first floor ceiling through to the kitchen ceiling. The gorun floor was full of water. The builder blamed us for having the heater on for the whole day.
However, the heating usually would be switched on the whole night sometimes and never we had this problem.
NOw we have to put new ceiling for two rooms which is an additional expense. The damage due to water ahs been extensive.

Today, we found that the knob in the boiler ah sbeen at 160* instead of 80-100*. WHen the builer tried to switch on the gas, he had increased the temperature setting as he was not aware of this type of old boiler/gas system. The water had boiled toomuch and overflowed the loft tank with steam going through all the nooks and corners of the structure.

BEing the fault of his ignorance and foolishness, he had damaged the building extensively by turning on the temperature settings, not having informed me about this, and also charging for the damage repair now.

I feel helpless. I have a small child at home.

What do I do now?

a) Can home insurance help me?
b) can I take this builder to court. I have no written document with him for kitchen fitting.
c) HOw do I manage expenses for the ceiling and structure repair due to overflow of laft tank water thoughout the building.

Thanks in advance,
helpme 2010