New PVC Windows

Jenna

Aug 23, 2010
Hi Everyone,

I recently purchased some new PVC windows from a local company when they came to fit them they weren't the most professional of fitters. Two of the openings on the back windows are actually on the opposite side that I requested but I can live with them. One of the handles fell off in the bedroom, also there is a small chip on the frame but it where the windows and the seal is. There is also a few issues with the french doors, now what was requested is that my partner would knock the opening out for the french doors and do the making up on the "INSIDE" (I have that in writing) however the window fitters insisted that they make the cuts and mark out the opening for the french doors however when it came to put the frame in the opening was to big (now they marked out where it was to knocked out) they ended up having to screw two pieces of PVC to the french doors so it was big enough to fit in the opening - the french doors are leaking water in from underneath, they were supposed to do the making up outside of the french doors but just left at the end of the day leaving my partner to do what was left (he's not a window fitter/ he's a skilled labourer so has some building knowledge). Also the PVC window cills have the most interesting cuts on them (they are not straight and are sharp on the edges)

Now they have fixed the bedroom handle.
The chip in the window frame was seen by two people and in the end was filled - with what I am unsure.
Now since on my quote it states that customer is do the finishing off on the "INSIDE" can I hold them responsible to ensure no water can penetrate from the outside? I have a feeling it's coming through where they screwed the EXTRA PVC to on the bottom of the door.

I saved and saved for these windows to be done I am not a rich person and had no choice but to have the old ones replaced as they had mold on and it was making me and my son very poorly (we have asthma) I am not the type to complain but I really am not happy with the job that has been done.

As this work was done recently I have not paid for it yet, can I pay for the work that I am happy with and hold back the money for the french doors until I am satisfied that they are not going to create a river in my living room?