dodgy dealer?

taff

Aug 23, 2010
notts
about 4weeks ago i bought a y reg vectra estate for £1100, the car was advertised as excellent condition, however 2 days after having the car i noticed that when revved over 4500rpm it blows a big cloud of smoke, i notified the dealer but they said its just because it needed driving hard, i've now noticed it uses a lot of oil(over 2.5litres for just over 900miles. Although the person i bought the car off buys cars from main dealers to sell on(they normally have 5+ cars on ebay at any one time) they're trying to claim they are a private seller, even though their name does not appear on the log book. Its now 4weeks since i bought car, do i have any rights as i did inform them of the problem within 2days of having the car?

ArnoldHelper

Oct 8, 2010
Companies have certain obligations under the Sales of Goods Act. Any fault found on a vehicle within the first 6 months is automatically deemed to have been present at the time of sale, unless the seller can prove otherwise (excluding normal wear and tear).

First, contact your local trading standards office and get their guidance

Secondly, warn everyone else of this dodgy dealer by reviewing them here:
www . dodgydealers.co.uk

In this case, if you have stopped using the vehicle imemdiately, you have the right of rejection, though the dealer may refuse in which case you are stuck with item 2 above and taking them through small claims court.