Bruton Classics (Dukewood) - My Terrible Experience!

sellyeve

Oct 3, 2008
Just wanted to post my very poor experience with this trader. Last November I bought a dining suite from this company for £1300. Delivery was promised within 8 weeks - four months later it arrived.

Within two months of taking delivery, the table completely split through the whole length of the table and the varnish cracked in several places. The company took the table back wanting to attempt a repair. Reluctantly I agreed. When it was returned some weeks later, the table had been screwed back together but there was a clear indentation right along the length where it had previously been split.

Although I said I wouldn't accept it back, the company dumped it at my house. I requested an independent inspection to resolve the matter. They refused. I wrote to them six times. No response. I approached VISA who wouldn't get involved without a report.

Eventually, I paid £295 for the Furniture Ombudsman to appoint an expert to carry out an independent inspection. The report showed the expert completely agreed with me. I sent a copy to the trader who dismissed the report. I sent a copy to VISA. At last, I have heard that a refund is on it's way via VISA - for the furniture and the cost of the report.

I would urge any consumer to take heed of my negative experience with this company before parting with any money!!

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
It is shocking that you have had to recover your costs from your credit card, but it proves that it is much easier, often, to recover costs from the credit card company than the trader. Out of interest was did Visa admit liability immediately or did they try to claim that they were not liable, which credit card company do you use.

Thanks for sharing this.

Best wishes,

Tony

sellyeve

Oct 3, 2008
The credit card company is VISA. Initially, they sided with the trader. It was not until I sent them the ombudsman's report and 14 days notice of legal action that they telephoned me to say that they would be settling the claim in full. However, I was advised that with the expert's report, the court would made a decision in my favour. Nonetheless though, the whole thing has taken almost 6 months to resolve.