Can anyone advise me please?

Should banks be stopped giving out credit cards until the recession is over?

• Total voters

AuraTodd

Aug 26, 2010
Hi I have borderline learning difficulties and I went to my Santandar bank and they said they had a message on their system to see an advisor. I was told that it showed on my file that I bought things like books off the internet using my debit Visa card. That they advised me to go for a Santandar zero credit card which I was a bit worried about as you hear so many horror stories of people being in debt.

I was told that If I used my debit card fraudsters might get hold of my details and steal my money and it would take age's to get back. As with this card I would be covered.

Stupidly I have applied for it and I am a bit worried I have done the wrong thing. Can you please advise me if I have done the right thing. if not, should I give it back? I am on benefits which doesn't help. Many thanks.

sprsthrn

Dec 20, 2016
No you haven't exactly done the wrong thing.

Credit cards have faster return on online fraud then Debit cards but you can always keep you self secure and only pay online with trusted sellers eg Tesco, PC World ect ect or Use paypal for purchases.

If you do not want the credit card you can get it cancelled right away, or set a reasonable credit limit 50-100 what you can afford to pay each month via direct debit. and use it to build a credit report for the future.

if u decide to keep the card Keep an eye on how long you will be getting 0% interest on it and make sure you shop around at a later date for a better deal. personally i've had a credit card since i was 18 i lowered the limit on it to £100 for fuel for work. now i'm in the process of getting a Mortgage and have been accepted for a resonable amount and have a Good apr even if i am a first time buyer.

with credit its best to be smart and not be ignorant about it. remember its not you're money