Mobile Phones Upside and Downside.

Jorumian

Facilitator
Sep 1, 2008
Birkenhead
I've popped these two news items together because they are kind of linked. First is the new smartphone from HP which is expected to challenge the dominance of the I-Phone.

HP preps secret iPhone rival ? The Register

Whether it will have any notable success syphoning off some of the I-Phone market I am not too sure, Apple seem to be all dominant in that area. Besides I am not sure that having something that can distract you from your current task in a myriad of different ways is necessarily a good thing. As this next news item chillingly exposes...

California train smash driver sent text seconds before disaster ? The Register

This is the first case I have seen of a train crash being a caused possibly by the driver being distracted by a mobile phone. I understand legislation is in place to stop this in the U.K as per their use in cars, but I am sure we have all seen the people who think this law doesn't apply to them, chatting away merrily as they swerve in and out of traffic. Sometimes I think this fantastic new technology is misused woefully with predictably deadly results at times. However I think it is wrong to blame the technology. People's ignorance and stupidity has caused death throughout history, regardless of the technology they have possessed. You cannot legislate for innate, selfish, stupidity.