using your debit card abroad

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
I have seen lots of publicity lately about people going abroad and being stuck with no money because their debit cards have been suspended by their bank because of suspected fraud, so i thought I'd phone my bank and tell them I was going abroad to prevent experiencing the problem myself.

Apparently, though they can put a note on your file saying where you are going and when, the security dept do not check your file before canceling your card!!!!! so there is actually nothing you can do to prevent this except to make sure you have the banks phone number with you when you travel so you can ring them if you have a problem.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Thanks for sharing that, it is good advice. I guess it would also be sensible to bring a couple of cards including one that doesn't charge for ATM withdrawals overseas and some cash.

Tony

katealpha

Sep 1, 2008
Beds
Thanks for this info. I didn't realise you could do this. The main reason I have a credit card is for abroad and fear of just having one card that somehow fails.

Consume

Nov 26, 2008
I found this article from a website about using cards abroad:

A credit card offers you the opportunity both to pay for goods and services and to withdraw cash whilst abroad. Credit cards are a quick, convenient and safe alternative to using travellers' cheques, and they remove the need for you to exchange cash while you travel. Although there is often a charge for using your card abroad, you may find that the convenience and flexibility it provides compared to cash and travellers' cheques outweighs the cost. Many credit card providers will also offer you additional benefits if you travel abroad with your card, such as free travel insurance.