Grant Boilers

Bigpete

Sep 14, 2010
Good Evening,

I have a four year Grant Vortex Combi 36 external oil fired boiler. It has been problematical regularly since installation. Most recently it has been losing pressure and a very obvious puddle of water around the base. The installer (also regular servicer) came out and after much work came to the conclusion that the leak was coming from the internal storage tank. As this part is covered by a 5 year manufacturers warranty we agreed he would stop work on it and I would claim under warranty. After much chasing from me they attended today and inspected the boiler. The engineer agreed that he suspects the leak to be coming from the storage tank but that without stripping the whole thing down this would be impossible to tell. I have since had a call from the "office" with the following offer

"In their experience" faults like this that occur after 4 years "are nearly always due to the system and not a manufacturing fault". As such the warranty would not cover it. They are prepared to offer me a replacement to buy at their cost price of £1600 (RRP c£3800) and they will then take the old one away to the factory where they will inspect it and tell me if it is a manufacturing or system fault. If it is a manufacturing one then they will refund my money.

As their engineer has already stated that the leak seems to be coming from a warrantied part it seems wrong that I am being asked to pay £1600 upfront in order to get something done and then they will be acting as the sole arbiter as to if I get this money back. My initial thoughts are

• Agree to buy a new boiler and sign an agreement that I will pay if after inspection it is proven to be a system fault.
  • Ask to be present when the boiler is opened (not that I don't trust them but I would like to see whatever evidence they claim.
  • If they claim a system fault then take the evidence with me and get it independently inspected.

Any thoughts about what they have offered or what I should do?

My main issue is that I can't afford to buy a boiler from somewhere else at RRP at the moment and until the boiler is working have no hot water or heating and with 2 young children I need to get this sorted quickly and not let it drag for weeks

Confused and slightly angry :confused:
Pete

PaulB

Nov 12, 2010
Pete

I'm interested in how you got one with this, as I'm going through exactly the same problem at the moment. Same boiler, just under 5 yrs old, came home to find it had leaked its contents all over the floor. Grant engineer attends and declares a pinhole leak in the water jacket, that it's a 'system fault' rather than a boiler fault, and concentrates more on taking water samples to try to prove that it's not their fault and that the system contained insufficient inhibitor.

Same offer - buy a replacement shell without burner, and get it fitted while we discuss the warranty. Have taken that approach but on removal of the faulty boiler we found a split seam at the weld on the tank. Have sent them a photo of it and they've taken the tank away to inspect.

I wonder if there's a faulty batch, or if it's a common fault!

Paul

Bigpete

Sep 14, 2010
Hi Paul,

Sorry for the delay in responding

We signed the agreement to get a "new" boiler and pay if after investigation proved to be our fault. Boiler eventually came but without burner. Was told that was to keep my costs down on buying a new one. Lost it a bit on the phone that keeping costs down is my decision not theirs and nothing proves it will be my cost. Eventually calmed down and had it installed.

Having already agreed that my wife or I would be present when the inspection is under taken we have made numerous calls to confirm when this is being done. So far nobody has told us. We have given up chasing them now. It is in our agreement with them that we will are to be present so if they do it with out us then I'm not paying.

Our installer of the original machine who has serviced it absolutely to specification over the 4 years has given us a signed declaration to what he has done and we have all his receipts confirming the work carried out. He is adamant that there is nothing wrong with the system and will support us in whatever we do if they do try and blame it. He sees it as a direct challenge to his competence and reputation as a plumber. The exact phrase he used was very Anglo Saxon!

If they do ever come back to me and try and blame the system then I'll be straight on the phone to Watchdog and anyone else in the media I can get interested in the story. You're most welcome to join me.

I have to say I will never buy another Grant product again and have been telling everyone about my experience with them. I find their arrogance stagering and insulting beyond belief.

Cheers

Peter

PaulWhittyWhite

Nov 7, 2014
Sounds like a bad time there, I needed a new boiler but there was no way I could afford one - then a couple next door mentioned that a a firm, STL heating, were doing a deal - which I took up - costing around £15 a month for three years. Phew! I could just afford that, and they did a ace job - only took 'em 2 days! and no problems at all :)