Part return of bundled products (Ebuyer)

JazzB

Sep 15, 2010
Hello,

I recently bought a bundled offered product from Ebuyer: a computer case plus power supply. These items are usually bought seperately, but these were bundled with a special offer price (1 product number for the bundle).

Upon receipt of my order, I built a PC out of all the components, including the above, and soon discovered that the power supply was faulty and did not work. This was proven by using an old power supply from an old computer instead, after which the PC worked perfectly and has been since. :rolleyes:

I have contacted Ebuyer to arrange a replacement for the power supply. However, they demand that I return the power supply with the computer case, since these were bought in the bundle. I understand were this is coming from, but I have spent hours neatly putting together all the many components inside the case and it will take me hours to neatly take it apart again, not even mentioning the hours it will take me to put it back in the replacement case! :mad:

Besides the amount of time and effort this would cost, it also will mean that I will not be able to use my new PC for about a week, which will put the job in danger that I needed it for. Plus, the case came with many small components and it did not came with a list of components that were included, so I have no way of checking if every component is sent back or whether I have forgotten any. Many of these components such as cables and other accessoiries are now attached to e.g. the motherboard, hard disks etc. I am already not sure whether the screws that pin down the motherboard came with the mb or the case! :confused:

I have told them that they could easily just send me a replacement power supply while keeping the case, since they also list these particular power supplies seperately. But they keep ridiculously demanding that I return the case as well, despite the fact that the case is perfectly fine and I want to keep it.

Their reasoning: Faulty goods are returned to source and they would require the full unit, they would not accept in part. Surely this should not be my responsibility or cause me any of this hassle?

There is nothing written down in their policies about part-returns. What are my consumer rights in this matter? And can I hold them liable if anything gets damaged when I have to take apart my PC due to their demands?

Why can they just not solve this issue the easy way? *sigh* :(

DSR is wonderful :)

Jan 3, 2011
I can totally understand how irritating this could be Jazz. It's quite satisfying to get the interior of a PC case tidied up nicely, especially if you've used cable ties or similar bits to keep it neat.

From my experience, I would suggest you err not on the side of caution but assume that any item that you aren't totally sure came with the case+PSU is actually yours.

Ebuyer returns seem to accept just about anything without any great delays or the assumption that faulty products were possibly ruined by owners overclocking CPUs or Graphics cards till they died of heatstroke.

I know that my last piece of advice is too late for use on this occasion but in the case of further purchases, I suggest testing any new electrical components (i.e. PSU) before setting up a new motherboard and connecting everything.