BBC Watchdog: Kwik to overcharge?

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Kwik Fit - the UK's biggest car service and repair chain. They've got five hundred and seventy branches. Nearly 95 million pounds in profit last year. And a talking car in their ads.

Well, if the car could really speak it might also be able to tell us about overcharging and unnecessary work...

You can watch Dom's report again on the BBC iPlayer later on after the show. If you have something to say about this story, you can email us here. Don't forget to include 'Kwik-Fit' in the subject line. Watchdog will publish a selection of viewers' comments underneath each story, both throughout and after the programme is on air. Please remember to include your name as you would like to see it published.

Watchdog viewer responses:

I had cause to complain last year after a service and MOT. The mechanic phoned me and misled me to believe that I required brake pads etc for the MOT. However, this was not neccesary. I complained and they split the difference. I would warn anyone to be very clear as to why their car is failling an MOT when having an MOT AND a service
Mary McNulty
Glasgow

My local kwik-fit tried to charge me nearly £40 to adjust my head-lights when there was nothing wrong with them. Its a favourite way to scam extra cash off their customers.
Mark from Bridgend, South Wales.

After hearing tonight's story I also have had trouble with Kwik FIt. I had rear brake pads go and when I called Kwik Fit over the phone they said I would need rear disc as well as pads and would take no for an answer and assisted I need discs as well.

I also took my car to get it's tracking done. I was called over to be told my exhaust would need changing. This did need doing but they told me it would cost me over £400 when another local garage did it for £130.
Martin from Hull.

I had exactly the same experience with Kwik Fit. They told me that the brakes on my Mini were dangerous all round and quoted me £540 for discs, pads and brake cables. I drove to to my local MOT station and was told that the car was perfectly road legal.
Matt, South Wales

Hello,

I have been going to the Kwik-Fit garage in Southend and am very happy with the services received over the last 5 years with my car. I've only ever found them to be professional and very helpful.
Phil Burnham

I dodged a bullet with kwik-fit, took my car to get a price on a timeing belt, was told "we dont know the size of your engine untill we get inside" (other garages didn't find it hard) but the price was vague, between £200 and £300 and then were already adding things on for "possible problems" again which another garage told me wouldn't matter,

I did get one thing done from them, wheel alinement, £30 and has not made the slighest bit of difference
John ,Halifax

Kwik to overcharge?