Problems with buyer

Nadine

Sep 18, 2010
Three weeks ago my husband agreed to sell his car to a work colleague for a price of £ 3,400. The car was given to the buyer for £ 2,900 at the time of collection and the buyer agreed to pay the balance of £ 500 within the next week, this was three weeks ago now and still no balance paid. Last week the buyer said the car was faulty, it was losing power, after having it two weeks (he bought it to pull his caravan with) and what would we be prepared to do. My husband being the big softie said he would get it looked at. He had a mechanic friend look at it without being able to solve the problem and on Thursday left it into the local 4x4 dealership. The buyer texted tonight to say he didnt want the car back, he wanted his £ 2,900 back in full and wanted an end to it. We do not have the £ 2,900 as we bought another car in the meantime. The car was sold in good condition, we did not have the problem the buyer says he is now having, we have been obilging in trying to get the car fixed at dear knows what cost to us and we are still owed £ 500

What rights do we have as a seller in this situation.

Many many thanks for any advice you can give, I feel physically sick at the thought of all this bad feeling and the prospect of having to find all that money :(

nmonline

Oct 24, 2010
Hi, if I were you, I would do nothing else until he had first paid the balance for the vehicle. This is a private transaction, so you are not obliged in any way to remedy any faults with the car. I appreciate this is a "friend", but he's hardly treated you in the right way, has he? In terms of rights, you have absolutely every right to hold onto the vehicle until he pays you what he owes you. Then, you can decide how much you want to do to help him, if anything. Out of interest has anybody else experienced the car losing power?