Motorhome madness!

valery

Sep 20, 2010
Hi everyone! Does anyone know the answer to this one? I suspect it is a fairly common problem.

I hired a motorhome for a long weekend. The contract promised 'fully comprehensive UK insurance'. I paid a £1k deposit as security in respect of 'interior and exterior damage'. We had an accident on our way back and tore a hole in a loading bay on the side of the vehicle. No other vehicle involved. The operator refuses to return any of the deposit. I have no complaint about paying any excess but what was the insurance for? The deposit I had assumed was in connection with non-insurable damage/the excess although it was not specified.

The T&Cs state on the one hand that 'you will have to pay for repairs if you have damaged the vehicle inside or out' but in a subsequent clause it says 'you will be charged for any loss or damage to the vehicle subject to the cover provided by the hire insurance'. (???)

The operator refses to give me a copy of the signed contract or his insurance policy.

This offer of 'fully comprehensive insurance' allied to terms stating you are liable for damage anyway seesm common to vehicle hire operators. What does it mean?

many thanks!
Valery