Am I hogtied?

Andy1950

Sep 27, 2010
I was a Tiscali customer for line rental, calls and broadband provision and I had no complaints about service levels or charges. Following that company's sale to Talk Talk, I was informed that my package would have to be switched to the nearest Talk talk equivelant (dearer of course) but:confused: that if I wanted to commit to an eighteen month contract I would be billed at a 50% discount for the first six months. I thought this over and agreed to the deal. However in the following two months I have been billed at the full rate through direct debit and, despite several calls to Talk Talk, the situation hasn't been remedied. When I wrote to the customer service department indicating that I'd prefer to simply change provider, I was told that I would be charged an early cancellation fee.
I'm a bit miffed that this company can renague on its agreement regarding charges and wonder whether in fact Talk talk is in breach of contract in these circumstances.
Does anyone have a view on this based on experience or legal knowledge?

digital_gain

Oct 12, 2010
If you agreed the contract over the phone then there is no physical proof of this (unless that call was recorded by the call centre) and if it was recorded then you do have proof of the deal being made!

So my advice is to contact them and explain the situation, if they still do nothing tell them you will cancel the direct debit and if they want to pursue you to take you to court, the fact you have not signed a contract is in your favour & this will usually be enough for them to rectify or at least address the issue