Estimate and Work done without authorisation

atonfan

Sep 28, 2010
Hi

I wonder if anyone could give me advice.

Recently I asked three different Roofer/Slaters to quote for repairing my roof as the house had a leak. I have just received an invoice for work done to my roof to repair said leak by one of the Roofers. This invoice was the cheapest but it was not for all the work so we would not have instructed them to do the work.

To be clear I did not give the tradesman authorisation to do this work either verbally or written. There are many reasons for this

1. The house is split in to three and before I can get any work done I need to confirm with the other householders that the price is acceptable.
2. As stated earlier his price was the cheapest but I did not think he was quoting for all the work I would like done.
3. I was still waiting on other quotes.

My question is what are my legal rights in this case, can I advise tradesman since I never instructed the work I am not going to pay him or do I need to pay the tradesman.

If you need any other information let me know.

Many thanks

AL

Davebucky

Apr 28, 2012
Hello all users
This is a bit 'after the event' but should stand future 'would be sufferers' in good stead.
When requesting work to be done on a house, insist on a quotation and do not accept an estimate as this is exactly what the rogue builders want youi to do. An estimate is a 'guess' at the costs and could, and normally do, escalate considerably. The forum user with the problem did allude to receiving a quote so, if that is the case,(and the quote was headed 'quote or quotation, the builders/roofers have no case legally). They are just trying it on.
The important thing is to ensure your letter of offer is actually headed 'quotation' and not either estimate or nothing at all.
I have been in construction related legal contracts for some 20 years now and a quotation will always stand up in court.

Best of luck everyone involved with unscrupulous builders and the like.