BBC Watchdog: Which Breakfast star's in our Meriva car?

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
Since its launch in 2003, the Vauxhall Meriva has become one of the best-selling multi-purpose vehicles in the UK. It's aimed at parents doing the school run and Vauxhall say it's the perfect car for you and the kids. But families we've spoken to are too scared to drive it. We sent Sian Williams to investigate...

In order to see this content you need to have both Javascript enabled and Flash installed. Visit BBC Webwise for full instructions. If you're reading via RSS, you'll need to visit the blog to access this content.

The family in the advert looks nice, the advert itself looks gorgeous and the car looks just the thing for mums. It's no wonder so many parents have fallen for it. But there's a serious problem with the power steering on some Merivas that's not only costly to fix, it's also potentially dangerous. So perhaps it's not so child friendly after all?

(Do you have something to say about this story? Tell us what you think by emailing us here. Don't forget to include 'Meriva' in the subject line. Watchdog will publish a selection of viewers' comments underneath each story, both throughout and after the programme is on air. Please remember to include your name as you would like to see it published).

Watchdog met up with Lisa Butcher, who bought her Meriva second hand in 2008. Lisa told us:

"I've got four year old twins, and I wanted a nice family friendly car to take the kids out and about it and I wanted something that was reliable".

The Meriva comes with power steering - essential for parking and manoeuvring around town. Which is brilliant if it works, but terrifying if it doesn't, as Lisa explained:

"I was driving with my children in the back, and I was just approaching a roundabout and suddenly I couldn't steer the car. It just went really stiff. Luckily, I was going quite slowly so I managed to steer it around and force it into a parking space which I found almost impossible."

A problem with the electrics had caused Lisa's power steering to fail. It can happen at any time and without warning and it has left Lisa scared to drive her car. She said:

"It has to be a safety issue. Because you don't know it's going to happen, so how can you plan for that? If you're not expecting it there's going to be a delay, and that delay could kill you".

Near misses and uncertainty have also become part of Craig Sheeran's daily routine. He bought his Meriva brand new in 2006 but over the past 12 months the power steering has failed more than a hundred times. Craig told us:

"It makes me extremely nervous to drive the car. Even now, after 8 months of it happening continuously, it still shocks me when it goes. It upsets you a bit because it could happen anywhere".

Watchdog have heard of more than 100 cars manufactured between 2003 and 2008 that all suffer from the same problem. But Vauxhall have let these cars stay on the road. We wanted to find out what dangers their drivers face each time they get behind the wheel so we asked car expert Mark Brown to take Craig's Meriva on a test drive. Within minutes of him setting off the power steering had failed and Mark observed:

"The steering's gone really, really hard and it's almost impossible to turn the steering". During the hour long test drive, the power steering failed an incredible seven times.

We decided to see how Sian Williams found driving a Meriva when the fault occurs. Sian took a test at Thruxton race track with two Meriva owners, Juley Felton and Carole Leslie as spectators. As the fault is intermittent, our expert Mark Brown programmed it to happen on a Meriva. He just needed to flick the switch and the power steering would fail. As Sian started her first manoeuvre, she had no idea when the fault would occur, when it did she said:

"That was horrible, that was the power steering going and I tell you what, you notice it instantly".

Sian caught up with Juley and Carole to discuss how it feels driving the Merivas with the power steering fault when you don't know it's coming. Juley told us:

"I have a three year old in the back and I can be going along a dual carriageway, at, say, 50 miles an hour and come to a roundabout and suddenly it will just veer off and then I'm struggling with him in the back".

Safety issues like these are investigated by VOSA - the Vehicle and Operator Services Agency. The can force a manufacturer to recall any car with a safety defect - something that's likely to cause significant risk of injury. We asked them if they'd received any complaints about the power steering in Merivas. They told us they had, but said that as their tests had shown the car could still be driven when the steering failed, they saw no reason to take any action. We asked our expert Mark Brown what he thought:

"They're right, you can still drive the car, but the amount of effort you have to put in to steering the car, particularly if you are taken by surprise when the steering does fail, has to increase the risk of an accident. It could be very dangerous, potentially. Even as an experienced driver I found it took me by surprise. I found it lengthened the time and the distance you needed to steer the car. And in certain circumstances that could be quite serious".

VOSA's decision is surprising because it also sets the rules for MOTs, and when it comes to power steering, those rules are very clear. Mark Brown again:

"If the car is found to have defective steering or steering that malfunctions, then it could fail its MOT, which would mean it's unroadworthy".

If VOSA had decided this was a safety defect, it would have been up to Vauxhall - the manufacturer - to deal with it and issue a recall. Instead, VOSA suggested that it is the owner's responsibility to ensure their car is roadworthy. And they should seek the advice of a qualified mechanic should any component fail to function. We caught up with Meriva owner Craig Sheeran again who did just that. And even though his car was out of warranty, Vauxhall helped him pay for a new steering column. Craig told us:

"Which I thought was very generous of them and put my faith back in to Vauxhall, and then the very next day I pick up the car and it's gone again".

Vauxhall later told Craig the car needed further repairs - but they couldn't guarantee these would make the power steering problem go away. Can Vauxhall give that guarantee to any Meriva owners?

Vauxhall statement to Watchdog on Meriva steering:

Vauxhall takes any product issues which may impact the behaviour of the vehicle very seriously. The Meriva electric power steering system is designed to be fail-safe in line with the EEC Directive that a vehicle must be able to steer in the event of a power steering failure.

The number of incidences of loss of power assistance on the Meriva is low. We would ask customers who experience loss of power assistance to contact their local Vauxhall dealer who has been briefed and trained to diagnosis and carry out the repair. This will be done free of charge.

For additional convenience, including contact details for the Vauxhall dealer network, the Vauxhall customer assistance centre (freephone 0800 026 4970) is available to help.

A VOSA spokesperson said:

"Road safety is our number one priority. We take all complaints very seriously and work closely with manufacturers to make sure the appropriate course of action is taken. In cases where there is clear evidence that a vehicle has a safety defect, due to a feature of design or construction, which is liable to cause significant risk of injury or death, then VOSA will work with the manufacturer to ensure a recall is launched."

Watchdog Viewers' Response:

Thank you for highlighting this problem, we have this problem quite frequently on our 05 plate Meriva, we knew about this problem as it has been mentioned on motoring forums before, fortunately for us it only happens at low speeds for us, and turning of the engine and resterting seems to help. Vauxhall just ignore the problem or try to force you to pay huge amounts of money to fix it, so we haven't had ours done yet. Maybe now Vauxhall will listen and I'm disgusted with VOSA as the car is not driveable when this problem happens.

Joanna Medley

Just watched the piece on the Meriva and I am totally shocked. If that was to happen on a tight bend on a national speed limit, it would only take a split second for the car to veer onto the wrong side of the road.

I am in the market for a new car and the Meriva was on my list. Not only will I not be buying one, it has put me off all Vauxhalls.

Tom Boyle, Penicuik, Scotland

Hi, we had a vauxhall meriva a few years ago, we too had problems with the power steering shutting off a few times, but we also had trouble with the engine cutting off. It happened several times at roundabouts and the engine used to cut off even when doing 60 mph along a duel carridgeway, we would have to stop and restart the engine.....dangerous stuff

Sarah Petrie, Milton Keynes

My 70 year old mother has a Meriva 55 plate and has encountered the same problem you mentioned. Since it started to happen she refuses to drive it. She has had various quotes for replacement of the steering column but cannot afford it especially when the garages said there was no guarentees that it would solve the problem.

M P Barton

We have a meriva 04 plate and have always had problems with the power steering. We just turn off the end and restart and it works! This happens intermittently.

Jane and Mike Frewing

The power steering on my mum's Vauxhall failed when she was trying to get out of the driveway to take me to school. After attempting to turn the wheel myself, I must disagree with the opinion that the car is drivable once the steering fails. It could have been incredibly dangerous if the car was travelling at speed when this happened.

Dominic

Had the same issue with my Meriva - a 56 Reg. When I took it into Vauxhall in Sheffield just over a ago, they said it needed to have a new power steering pump fitted, which took a couple of weeks to arrive. Thankfully they fitted it under warranty but it did seem to solve the problem.

Gerard Crofton-Martin

Which Breakfast star's in our Meriva car?

pandora

Aug 8, 2015
I have a vauxhall mariva 54 plate, the steering wheel keeps locking. iv had accidents in the car due to this. iv took it to 8 garages including vauxhall and they told me the car is fine. since taking the car to vauxhall i have crashed. I now DO NOT take the car on motoways as it has happened while entering the motoway. Im scared to drive the car but at the same time i have to as i have four children that go 3 different schools. I am in no procession to be buying a new car and its depressing. I dont know what to do

Jun 1, 2016
Hi, I have contacted Vauxhall customer services today 1/6/2016 with regards to this same fault on my car (see below) and was told they would not do the work free and would not provide any explanation why.
I quoted their statement on the watchdog website and the answer was the same. I later called the dealership carrying out the work who require £800+ and they said the rejection to ther application from Vauxhall was an "automated response";

with reference to this blog of 30th September 2010, 11:21 PM;

"Vauxhall statement to Watchdog on Meriva steering:

Vauxhall takes any product issues which may impact the behaviour of the vehicle very seriously. The Meriva electric power steering system is designed to be fail-safe in line with the EEC Directive that a vehicle must be able to steer in the event of a power steering failure.
The number of incidences of loss of power assistance on the Meriva is low. We would ask customers who experience loss of power assistance to contact their local Vauxhall dealer who has been briefed and trained to diagnosis and carry out the repair. This will be done free of charge".

pandora

Aug 8, 2015
i have a meriva and a few times i have crashed due to the steering, which has left my car with dents in. when i first contacted vauxhall i booked my car in with them and they told me their was nothing wrong with my car (which i knew their was) i continued to drive my car and two weeks after i went to vauxhall i crashed again due to the steering wheel locking. i then came on to the watchdog website where i saw all the complaints about the meriva's. I then called vauxhall back up with the knowledge i knew about them having to fix the steering wheel. The 2nd time they looked at it they said they was at fault an they fixed the car free of charge however they did not fix the dents in my car or compensate me for their problem which i think is disgusting. My car has now lost value of it due to theses dents. someone should be at fault.

Jun 1, 2016
My local dealership applied to get the faulty steering column replaced and it got refused by Vauxhall.
I contacted Vauxhall customer services by email myself and quoted this I found online;.....
"Vauxhall statement to Watchdog on Meriva steering:
The number of incidences of loss of power assistance on the Meriva is low. We would ask customers who experience loss of power assistance to contact their local Vauxhall dealer who has been briefed and trained to diagnosis and carry out the repair. This will be done free of charge".
....They replied telling me to get the local dealership to re-apply which they did and it was approved.
My car now has a ne steering column fitted for free at 870,000 miles.

grumpysi

Jun 15, 2016
915 ,how old was your meriva got a 2010 model,doing the same with 55,000 miles ...got fault code for torque sensor fault

Jun 1, 2016
My local dealership applied to get the faulty steering column replaced and it got refused by Vauxhall.
I contacted Vauxhall customer services by email myself and quoted their statement.
Job done.