It may pay to recycle

barbarp

Facilitator
Aug 20, 2008
Dorset
I haven't seen any of them down this way but they sound like a great idea.
We have a paper log maker that we use to make logs for the fire out of junk mail! {It gives me great satisfaction when it's all the credit card offers and are you having trouble paying your debts letters}
That certainly saves us a few quid!
And I love this idea
Good Green Fun - Children's toys and clothes recycling, Stirling, Scotland

There ought to be more of these round the country!

scotchlass

Facilitator
Sep 5, 2008
Both of these ideas are great! I haven't seen the recyclingmachines but they should have more of them- it will definitely encourage more recycling if they put them in every Tesco! And I was just about to have a clearout before Xmas of the kid's toys, so now I know where they can go instead of the skip.

barbarp

Facilitator
Aug 20, 2008
Dorset
If you're not too worried about making money from it , freecycle is an ace group to join {Yes I confess I am a member}
The only thing I've found annoying is when you post things, people say they are coming to get them then don't turn up..:mad:
But conversly we had a major problem with my little boy pulling apart flat pack furniture and we managed to get some very nice solid wood stuff like a victorian dresser that someone was throwing out {:eek:} and all it cost us was the fuel to go and get it.

perfumemaster

Mar 15, 2009
Isn't recycling becoming standard practice now? the council collects three different wheelie bins from our house now.. how do we get paid for that?

TracyG

Apr 26, 2009
I believe Tesco has a scheme that rewards it's customers with Green Clubcard Points for every ink cartridge they recycle.

therecyclingfactory.com pays for certain makes of old ink cartridges. They don't accept Epson cartridges though. Sending them your old cartridges is really straigtforward, you just sign in to their website and print off a freepost label.

red

Aug 22, 2008
Isn't recycling becoming standard practice now? the council collects three different wheelie bins from our house now.. how do we get paid for that?
In time you may not get paid, but expect to pay for the amount you throw away in standard rubbish bins. Therefore, recycling will save you money. Am sure there are trials in place at present with sensors measuring weight of rubbish each household throws away.

So now is the time if you dot recycle to get into the habit. It can be slightly alien to some in the UK, but some countries such as sweden it really is common place with many household having 5 different bins for differring rubbish types!!!

Georginazn

Apr 22, 2009
Is it just me or is anyone else a tad cynical though about whether the stuff we carefully sort actually gets managed well? I am still concerned that some gets dragged hal way across the world and ends up polluting China.
I suppose this MP business has me on a real downer, but I include recycling in the list of things I do, and want to believe in, but feel we are being duped on somehow.
I am still doing it though as the alternative is landfill and consumption and that is not sustainable. I am also focussing on reducing and reusing within the household as I feel there is much to be gained there, and much that I can do.

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
I think we're still quite some way behing other European countries in terms of how we deal with recycling but it is heartening to see how the need to recycle is slowly becoming more entrenched in our culture. I have to confess I am sure I have been one of the worst offendors over time but now I would not dream of chucking stuff out if it can be got rid of in any other way (composting, donation, etc). And just to sing freecycles praises again (wow it really is brilliant!) lovely people have just come to my house and taken away bags of clothing, childrens cot mattresses, plastic toys leaving me with a bit more space and saving me having to take it out to recycle myself.

So, I guess at least we need to be happy that it is on everybody's minds now and things can only improve in terms of how we improve recycling facilities in the future.