faulty goods no reciept?! help

lindsay88

Oct 3, 2010
can some please tell me what my rights are:

i purchased a surround sound system from tesco's roughly 3weeks ago, the system is faulty, it does not recognise the hdmi cable and one speaker has very poor sound quality. i would deem this product to be unfit for purpose!!

i have tried to return the product to tesco but i do not have a reciept as my dad purchased it for me and paid cash and has lost reciept (hes useless with that kind of stuff unfortunatly). The product is made by technika which is now exclusive to Tesco so i could not have possibly bought it any where else! however they are refusing to exchange the product, i do not want a refund just an exchange for a working product!!!

where do i stand with this? do i have any rights? surely something can be done!! :mad:

DSR is wonderful :)

Jan 3, 2011
Without a receipt and zero proof of purchase (bleeding irritating how cash should be the most desirable form of payment from a retailers point of view yet when something goes wrong it has zero perks)...

<credit/bank statements can sometimes be used where retailers are concerned the customer is trying it on>

I think your best bet is to try for some sort of goodwill payment contacting Tesco's customer services department via phone, post and email. If you can get hold of the suitable department for your query after phoning them and getting the name of the relevant individual then you stand a better chance of being taken seriously.

No harm in massaging their ego by suggesting that 'technika products are simply not good enough to sell in a store like tescos'.

I'm sure I mentioned something like that in an email to an online retailer once and the response changed from being all jobsworthy and robotic to jokey and co-operative. Good luck.