House-swapping

GlasgowGirl

Facilitator
Jul 22, 2008
Not as exciting as wife-swapping but potentially a way to have a cheap holiday! I've heard of a few people doing this - basically, you advertise your home as a holiday rental, and find someone else who's done the same and who lives in an area you'd like to holiday in. So you don't have any accommodation costs on your holiday - you just swap houses with someone else.

There seem to be various websites which let you list your house - as far as I can see most of them charge a membership fee. Has anyone done this? I've considered it, but would feel weird about having someone I didn't know staying in my house. Any thoughts?

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
I have done this with family and I guess this reduces a lot of the risk. I did used to live in Portugal though, can't imagine many wanting to holiday in Bolton : )

GlasgowGirl

Facilitator
Jul 22, 2008
Well this is my problem - how many people want to go on holiday to the south side of Glasgow! (although it is a very nice area :) )

Rachelle

Apr 25, 2009
I imagine lots of people would want to go and stay in Glasgow with all the cultural aspects it has to offer. Don't know Glasgow I have to admit but if you're also near some spectacular scenery I'm sure you'd be on to a winner. I was thinking about doing a house swap too or at least registering with an agency. I think I might call a couple of them and see what they say. Why don't you do the same? You could always describe your area and see what they say ...

Chutzpah

Jan 9, 2009
twitter.com
Yes, don't knock Glasgow! Been there twice for pleasure. And then also from Glasgow airport up to Loch Lomond for our honeymoon - we love that area of the world (and Edinburgh).

Personally (even though we can't do this as we rent) I wouldn't fancy doing this, but each to their own.

TracyG

Apr 26, 2009
I've heard about home swapping and generally think it's a good idea. Apart from it being cost effective, I think it's about time tourists ventured away from their holiday hotspots and explored the real Britain.

That said, I don't really like the idea of strangers staying in my home for a holiday. I think it would take a lot of planning and I know I would be worried while I was away.

I've also heard about working holidays with the National Trust. This I do find appealing.

Georginazn

Apr 22, 2009
From what I have read and seen (there was a TV prog about it a long while back), the fact that you are in their house while they are in yours is quite a good guarantee against carelessness. But then as a clumsy oaf who can spill red wine without even touching the glass I would be very anxious and maybe not able to enjoy the stay. Also I think I would be so obsessed with making my house spotless I would be knackered before I went, then be obsessed about leaving the swap house ultra-clean and knackered again! I think I am too much of a worrywart to do it! if you are laid back it sounds a great way to see the world economically.

happywriter

Apr 25, 2009
Sounds like house swapping is not for you. The idea is great when it works, and really needs two sets of people with similar values and regard for their property.