SE C905 broken 18 months into 24m contract w/ Phones4U

cnds

Oct 20, 2010
Hi,

About 17 months ago I signed up for a contract through Phones4U at £25 per month for 24 months, with a "buy-out" upgrade after month 20. The network is O2 and I got a Sony Ericsson C905 included at no additional cost.

Recently, the '1' button on the keypad has become unresponsive, making it difficult to text and dial numbers. Now, I am also unable to hear people when I make phone calls - the earpiece speaker is completely dead. I can still hear people and make calls if I plug in the included headset, but this is less than ideal.

To top it off, in the last day the screen has periodically started going completely black when I open the slider apart from a single white line across it. It looks like it's going to die completely very soon!

I just want to know what my rights are concerning this and how to deal with it. I was prepared to wait the few months to get a new phone on the upgrade, but with this latest screen issue, I fear the phone may not last that long!

If I go into Phones4U, am I right to assert that under the Sale of Goods Act, they are responsible for repairing or replacing the phone, despite the fact I didn't opt for their extended warranty and even though the phone is now 17 months old?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!