EU plans legislation for cross border shoppers

Jorumian

Facilitator
Sep 1, 2008
Birkenhead
Plans are afoot to bring in legislation guaranteeing Eu member states the same rights as domestic customers when purchasing things from other EU member states, either in person or via the internet.

Channel 4 - News - New plans for cross-border shoppers

I'm wondering if this comes to pass what the knock on effect will be? For example would you pay £20 for an item in the UK, if you can get it from lets say Portugal for £10?

Will the expansion be a good thing or bad thing for business? I'm not too sure.

GlasgowGirl

Facilitator
Jul 22, 2008
Hmm, I'm not sure if it will be a good thing for business, at least not in the UK - as you say, it may lead to people sourcing things abroad if they are cheaper. Although once you factor in the cost of postage, it may still be cheaper to buy many things in the UK. I must admit, I've never considered my consumer rights when I've bought things from elsewhere in the EU - I think from a consumer point of view this is a good thing.

Tony

What Consumer Founder
Apr 7, 2008
Bolton
It is a good thing as currently we only have a seven day cooling off with our Distance Selling Regulations. The assumption is that this would be increased to 14 like to the rest of Europe. Language will be a barrier for UK shoppers shopping in Europe, but British businesses should do well as English is now the Lingua Franca in Europe (if that makes sense) plus the pound is so week at the moment.

Tony