Faulty TV, Samsung says I have no warranty because I bought from Amazon

Ryster

Oct 25, 2010
Hi all

In April of this year I purchase a Samsung UE32B6000 TV brand new from Amazon.co.uk. It has since developed a loud electric buzzing/crackling sound and is clearly faulty.

I have tried to return it to Amazon and although willing to accept the return, they don't stock the model any more so all they will do is refund me. However I like the design of this model and it goes well in my room, so I decided to try a direct-to-manufacturer warranty claim instead.

However I am shocked to discover that Samsung are claiming that I have NO manufacturer warranty because I bought the product from Amazon.co.uk. Is this a legal stance to take?

Their exact words are:
Thank you for contacting Samsung Electronics.
Kindly note that products bought from retailers such as AMAZON will not
be covered with Samsung warranty because the retailers purchased these
products from Samsung in very low prices and that is because they will
be handling the warranty not Samsung, so we would advise you to refer
back to AMAZON in order to have the TV fixed or replaced.
I hope this has been of some assistance to you. If you do have any
further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us quoting your
reference number.
Kind Regards,
Joe Tyler
Samsung Electronics UK
Customer Communication Centre
I thought I was entitled to a manufacturers warranty? Why does the price the item was sold at have anything to do with the warranty the manufactuer should provide?

Please advise. I obviously still have the option of a refund from Amazon, but as I said I would prefer a replacement if at all possible.

Thanks and regards,
Ryan Spooner

tomcrawford

Feb 7, 2011
I'm having a problem with my Samsung TV and Samsung are saying that they do not cover goods bought from Amazon. If the TV isn't covered by Samsung warranty and the people I purchased the TV off (through amazon) are saying I need to speak to Samsung, I do not know what I can do.

The only other option is to pay for the TV to get repaired but what's the point of having a warranty? :mad:

Lily

Mar 8, 2011
Hi

When you have been treated like this by the manufacturer, I would not want a replacement personally. You are lucky that Amazon are offering you a refund - I would take it and consider yourself lucky.

I bought a Samsung LCD tv from a local Currys and have had a recent issue with the sound at only 4 months old.

Initially I rang Currys tech team and was told that I would need to take it up with Samsung direct as it was covered by their warranty. The man I spoke to did say that they receive many calls for Samsung tv's compared with other manufacturers due to the nature of using 'less expensive components' - ie, cheap parts that do not last! Not very reassuring!

I rang Samsung to be told that I would have to take it to an approved repair centre myself (not a Samsung base) under warranty to have it looked it as it was a 32"or less screen size. (It would mean a drop off and return once fixed, who knows how many days later. 2 round trips required)
The repair centre is over 10 miles away. (He quoted 5 miles away - as the crow flies perhaps?? Not according to my calculations!)

So, I, the customer, is expected to rebox it, struggle to get it in the car and drive it to the repair centre like I was told, at my cost by the patronising, could not care less customer service rep.

Just to top it off, the repair centre is in the middle of a shopping centre and it was up to me to deal with them about any logistics, as Samsung dont get involved and could give me no further information.

So to put a single woman, with no car, little time and no spare cash to spend on taxi (forget using 3 buses! due to the 3' long bulky heavy box) to have a 4 month new tv repaired since it was not that 1" wider, (which would have qualified for a at home repair), out of pocket and time; Did they care less??

I tried to put my point to him, then asked to speak to manager when I got nowhere with him; which he refused then tried to talk over me, then eventually, I had to let the point go as I was wasting my breath.

Frankly, once they have sold their goods, they dont care less about their 'customers' and there is no after sales care and I would kiss goodbye to the warranty, it is not worth the paper it is written on.

I have forbid anyone in my family to buy another Samsung tv following this problem and their attitude towards their customers.

I cannot understand how they feel they can get away with treating paying customers in this way, and I do feel I was made madder by the pathetic excuse of a "customer care rep" who is clearly in the wrong job as he only managed to make me angrier over their warranty policy rather than try to difuse my situation.

I will now not pay my hard earned cash towards anything that they manufacture, as I am need of both a new phone and camera so they will lose on my custom and anyone else that I can spread the word to.

I dont know how many people would look at the warranty information in such close detail to spot what it entails at the time of purchase but despite my short sightedness, I am still disgusted that after forking out approx £340, just got more hassle that it is worth.

Avoid Samsung at all costs. Cheap components and poor poor customer service.

dinah

Dec 5, 2010
Hi to be fair to Samsung your contract is not with this company. It is with Amazon and if you are relying on Samsung warranty it can spell out the terms and conditions that it wants. Legally you can't force Samsung to replace the TV unless you have a registered warranty with this company that offers a replacement.
Dinah

Sheznic

Jun 14, 2013
I just wanted to share my recent experiences with Samsung Customer Services. The Advisors are nice enough but Samsung's policies in my experience render their entire CS department useless.

We purchased a Samsung Blu Ray Player with a Home Cinema kit back in 2010. We rarely used it but were pretty impressed with the player when we did. However we never connected it to the internet due to us lacking the necessary equipment.

One evening my husband had the bright idea of connecting it directly to the router to see what type of services were available. Lo and behold we are presented with a ‘Firmware Update’. As this was a Samsung update my husband innocently decided to download it. After all, what could possibly go wrong?! A lot as it turns out. Since then our Blu Ray Player can only play DVDs. Which makes it the most expensive DVD player either of us have ever purchased.

We tried downloading a newer version firmware and a factory reset but NOTHING worked.

When I turned to Samsung for a resolution I was told that it was out of Warranty and there was nothing they could do but repair it for a fee.

Me: "WHAT?! But it was YOUR update that damaged our Blu-Ray Player don’t you have a ‘Roll back’ or something?!":confused:.

Samsung: "No we don’t. Sorry, there is nothing else we can do".

Marvellous! Given the age of the Blu-Ray player I reluctantly decided to accept defeat. It was a shame that I did not know about Samsung’s Polices before I bought my Son a brand new Galaxy Tab 2 10.1. Oh well, that’s definitely still under warranty so I know that they will fix it if it developed an unexpected fault. WRONG!!!

Within 4 months of use the Tab decided that it was going to switch off and NEVER turn on again. The Reboot worked the first time round but the second time it was not having a bar of it. I tried everything, trawled through You Tube and the Forums but nothing worked. I was kicking myself for not taking it back within the first three weeks when I noticed a few initial glitches.

Samsung Services, helpful as ever, said that they would send it to their engineers (A NOVO) for inspection. Long story short… They diagnosed liquid damage (not covered by Samsung’s warranty) and stated that it was damaged beyond economical repair. Did I mention that they unit never came into contact with any liquids and that the engineers also damaged it whilst presumably prying it open?

Well that was it! I was not going to take it lying down. £238.00 down the drain? Someone was going to sort this one out.

In the end after some phone calls, letter writing and quotations of sections of the Sale of Goods Act 1979, the retailer came to the rescue and offered me a full refund in exchange for the return of the Tablet. Something they would not do without first going through Samsung’s long-winded procedures.

In a nutshell Samsung is under no legal obligation to provide a manufacturer’s warranty and as such only provide one as an allurement to buy their cosmetically impressive but internally ‘shoddy’ products.

When you have nothing better to do, take a good look at a Samsung’s Warranty. You will see that it is only useful as a piece of toilet tissue and has more loopholes than a crocheted scarf.

Congratulations to anyone who has a Samsung Product that works. Make sure you insure it whilst it still does. If it develops any glitches whilst under warranty, report it immediately. Don’t be a hero and try to troubleshoot it. You may live to regret it.

Witch consumer

Sep 8, 2008
Debtors retreat
That made me laugh as I read it on my Samsung Galaxy Note!

Not funny though I appreciate, your first port of call should always be the supplier, no need to take any bull about contacting the manufacturer as your contract is with the supplier. Glad you got it sorted in the end tho.

Rebecca23

Feb 22, 2014
If you had a monitor and a dvd player then you wouldn't need a licence. However, the rule shave changed and if you have any mechanism to receive TV i.e. a mobile, internet, tuner etc then you need a licence.

Mantle

Jun 5, 2014
Samsung's so-called 'warranty' is not only a joke but a fraud! I warned my partner to steer clear of Samsung due to my own experience with their so-called 'warranty' before she made her recent purchase but she didn't listen.
She recently purchased a Samsung phone from a reputable store while in US. On getting to UK the phone developed a fault. Samsung was notified and she was told that since the purchase was made in US Samsung UK or Europe cannot deal with the matter and she must contact Samsung US.
Samsung US told her they cannot deal with the matter because she is in UK and that they don't deal with 'non-US phone' She made them to realize this is a US phone purchased in the US with US receipts/bill of payment. However Samsung didn't want to know -after spending a total of more than 280 minutes on the phone! The phone is now useless and that is almost $520.00 down the drain.
I recently purchased a 'used' ASUS Fonepad from eBay (of all places) which later became faulty. I contacted ASUS and all they asked for is the serial number - no mention of receipts or way bill. In a matter of days, their courier knocked on my door to take it away and I later got a free replacement as it's still within warranty.
A work colleague also had a problem with an HTC phone purchased as used from Amazon. I told him about my experience with ASUS and he too contacted HTC. Today he also has a brand new phone.
These are what you call 'genuine' warranties.