year old car has been in an accident - undisclosed

glenjh

Nov 9, 2010
Morning,
I purchased a year old VW Passat from a VW dealer 2 months ago for £14750.
Buying from a franchised dealer I expect peace of mind, good service etc.
Within a week of buying the car, I was offered a new job, and with it a company car. I therefore needed to sell the Passat. I had a lady round who loved the car, but arranged an AA inspection to be sure (as it is strange for someone to be selling a car so soon after purchasing it!). I had no concern about the car passing an inspection. However, the inspection revealed that the car had been in an accident, and the bonnet & front wing had been replaced, and this had not been done to a good standard. It also appears that the front door is now catching on the front wing when I open it. As I dont want the car, can I get my money back, or do I have to accept the car as it is? Should the dealer repair this to the correct standard if I have to keep it? I haven't spoken to the dealer yet as I need to know where I stand first. Any help would be appreciated.

I should add that the car was previously owned by a car hire company, and have been advised that if their cars are in an accident, they sometimes get repaired but not through the insurance, and usually to a poor standard. Therefore this did not appear on the HPI check.

Thanks

glenjh

Nov 9, 2010
I wanted to get the views of other peoples experiences before I spoke with the dealer. However, after discussions, the dealer has taken the car back, albeit at a lower price than originally purchased.

Sarah2312

Nov 5, 2010
I guess it's one of the problems about buying a second-hand car. As a student there's no way I could afford a brand new one, so these posts are helping me to look out for the pitfalls of buying an older model.
Happy you got your money back in the end, even if it wasn't the full price.