6 week old Audi A6

Tay

Nov 18, 2010
All,

I recently purchased a Audi A6 Quattro with 57k on the clock with lots of high tech goodies. I was given a couple a couple (maybe 3) months warranty with the garage I bought it from and also purchased 2 years of extended warranty through them.

After 3 weeks of faultless use the car failed to start one saturday morning (Despite doing approx 800 miles that week), seemingly the battery was dead or very nearly dead. Spoke to the dealer I bought it from and expressed my concern, he said speak to our service dept and get them to look at it.

I got it started with jumper leads and got it to them on the , they had the car for 3 days and eventually said they replaced a fuse but otherwise couldnt find a fault, they charged the battery despite it allegedly being brand new when I bought the car. It was seemingly fixed.

A few days later I couldnt get into the car using the remote, seemingly the battery was dead again. I had to use the wifes car again to get to work and do some trips, A mechanic came out and said it was probably interference and said if it happened again just use the key, Over the next 2-3 days it just wouldnt work with the key fobs and seemed to be in some sort of power save mode (I recently found out Audi's can do this to preserve power).

I checked the battery out myself and it was not good. I put the battery on good deep charge. The car was then fine for another week, then it wouldnt start on the monday, once again this left me in trouble. I had to get to work and the wife needed her car for work too, we ended up taking the car to the garage again and the wife used a loan vehicle from the garage. The mechanic chap said he would take it to Audi as he couldnt do anything more. Another 4 days without the car but this time we went to pick it up he said that the car had now been "coded" to the battery and it should be fine.

I'm a little wary at this point but go with it. Car worked fine for the saturday (I did 80 odd miles and it started fine) however on the Monday it didnt start again, once again late for work and not impressed in the slightest.

It has now been in the Garage for another 3-4 days and I have effectively been without the car for 17 days out of the last 5-6 weeks I've had the car, be it in the garage or battery on charge.

Whilst they seem helpful we dont seem to be getting anywhere, I suggested that the "new" battery should be replaced.

I'll call them again tomorrow and see if there is any resolution. I'm getting to the end of my tether now and I'm curious as to what my next options might be, it seems pretty clear that they are lost as to what the problem might be. Nice as they are its gone on for too long and frankly think the car might just be a bad apple.

What options do I have?
I have finance does this change anything?
I paid the deposit with credit card, does that help or otherwise?

What could I realistically expect to happen?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

nmonline

Oct 24, 2010
Hi Steve, the finance and credit card would both help if this turned into a fight. Have you had any satisfaction yet? Sounds like there is either a current drain, or the battery is not recharging via the alternator. Have there been any warning lights, and is there any after-market equipment fitted?

Tay

Nov 18, 2010
Thats for the reply.

I had the car back in again for another 8 days, this time it spent 3-4 days at Audi's, after replacing several items it seems that the issue might be resolved.

The underlying problem appeared (1 week clear of issues so far) to be the Amplifier for the BOSE audio, it brought itself back online after 4-5 hrs...then 0.7 of an amp draw.

Total time I was without the car ended up being approx 26 days since I owned the car, in the last garage exercise I was given a pool car to drive.

I'll be going back to the Garage shortly and saying thanks for fixing the car but its taken too long blah blah...trying to get a free service or two out of them.

Cant do any harm and might get something out of it, least they can do really.