How much time/effort should I put into allowing a dealer to make a repair?

spookiexch

Nov 23, 2010
Hi All,

I have a complaint with the FOS regarding a car purchase. Here are some of the key facts:
  • Purchased car in June from a dealer
  • 2 months later, head gasket goes. My local garage confirms this for me, and suggests that the radiator shows signs of there being a previous issue.
  • The sunbroof (panoramic variety) does not open, which was not mentioned when I purchased.
  • paid 7K, 1K deposit on CC, .5K part ex, rest on finance.

I initially complained to dealer. I discovered that they no longer traded from the forecourt where I made the purchase. I was told in no uncertain terms that head gaskets were not covered, that they are trading from home, address withheld.

Luckily I had purchased via a conditional sale agreement, so I believe I have the option of getting the finance company to rectify.

I have spent 8 weeks trying to get a commitment to repair in writing from the finance co. They keep trying to direct me back to the dealer, who I cannot engage in writing.

All I am after are details of the repairs before I hand the car over. These amount to no more than a list of issues that will be addressed, details of the garage that will undertake the work, rough time scale within which the work will complete.

I recently (after 8 weeks) received a final offer from the finance co, but as yet there has been no correspondance that confirms any of the above. They do suggest the dealer has written to me and made a fair offer, but again I have received nothing.

I have now written to the FOS who I hope can help.

Now for my question . . . . . :confused:

I have now rejected the vehicle formally, as I wanted to cover my back. I would like a refund. What sort of effort is required on my part in giving the finance co and the dealer a chance to repair? Have I done enough? Am I being reasonable expecting something in writing before I hand the car over? Are there any guidelines on these things?

Thanks in anticipation for any help that anyone can offer.

A.